Innovative Marine Aquariums

Considering a 13.2 G set up

Wild Blue

Hello! To you all, I’m a beginner in all that related to saltwater aquariums. I’m planning a Nano Reef of about 13.2 G (50 liters), 23.6 L X 9.4 W X 13.7 H , inches.

Which in it I’m planning to house a couple off Clownfish with an Anemone a Pulsing Xenia coral and some different kinds off mushrooms and some Turbo Snails as the clean up crew. At least this is the basic concept.

The problem is I don’t know what equipment I need especially what lighting should I use. Will I need Actinic lights? Or only daylight lamps? How many? And so on.

10X to all how will help whit any advice to a saltwater beginner.

I would fist off say to go with the 13.3g. It's a major step up from the 13.2

Steer away from the anemone. All other photosynthetic livestock mentioned is lower-light stuff. To keep an anemone, you'd have to bump that up quite a bit, and even then it's not the best choice of animals for a beginner.

The easiest way out for lighting would be to get 2-36w PCs. One actinic and one daylight. You can get away with one (use a 50/50 bulb), but 2 of them will keep other options open as you get more addicted.

The size of the tank is standard so it is an changeable.

The anemone and Clownfish are to be the “main attraction "of the tank and consist the basis of the tank concept. My aim is to create a setup to house them in the best way in the tank stated above. The rest of the livestock is totally a thought not a must and are only creatures I would like to keep in the tank stated above.

So please help me arrange a setup in the tank stated above to keep in it the anemone and Clownfish in the best suitable way for them.

As I understood from the reply a setup of 2-36w PCs. One actinic and one daylight. Will be all I will need for my tank, did I understand correctly?

Yes, you understood correctly. But wait for other opinions if you definitely want an anemone. I don't keep them. Someone else can suggest a good species and appropriate lighting for it.

And no, that's not all you need, that's just lighting. Other stuff:

75w heater

Powerheads/water pumps

~20lbs liverock

1-2" livesand

Then, of course, you'll need a thermometer, hydrometer, test kits, a mixing bucket, and a good relationship counselor.

I will wait for more responses on lighting for my tank and also for suggestens for a good species anemone and Clownfish and appropriate lighting for it. In the tank stated above. And yes I definitely want an anemone and Clownfish.

With the rest of the equipment I have less of a problem at this point, my main problem is the lighting for my tank.

Any more responses or ideas on lighting for my tank, and also fore suggestions a good species anemone and Clownfish and appropriate lighting for it?

Any thing will do. ???

10X

:|

stay away from the anemone you will just end up torturing the creature until it dies. Not becuase you dont know you are doing but becuase it is extremely difficult to keep the beasts in a tank. There are many other options for a host for the clownfish.

Do you already have the tank? If not I would suggest that you chose one with greater depth front to back. It would be much easier to landscape.

What kind of lighting is available in Israel? If we knew that it would help us help you.

I keep clowns without anemones. I would love to keep them but until someone figures out how to keep them successfully I'm not going to try it.

What are “the many other options for a host for the clownfish”?

As I previously stated the size of the tank is standard so it is an changeable.

Most lighting types are available in Israel, but I think (as I also understood from web articles on nanoreefs) that the most appropriate type will be PCs, so I would appreciate any info on this type or on any other suggested type.

Originally posted by Wild Blue

What are “the many other options for a host for the clownfish”?

As I previously stated the size of the tank is standard so it is an changeable.

Most lighting types are available in Israel, but I think (as I also understood from web articles on nanoreefs) that the most appropriate type will be PCs, so I would appreciate any info on this type or on any other suggested type.

Clowns can take almost anything as a host: a powerhead, a clump af macroalgae, a Koosh ball. Many corals make suitable hosts, and are much easier to keep than an anemone. I have one happily living in a frogspawn coral.

koosh ball. that's photo worthy. I have heard of clowns taking to the outflow of a hob filter and even a magfloat (someone on these threads had posted that theirs was in love with the magfloat).

I might leave my magfloat in just to see the perc make nice to a plastic float.

Archived