Top Shelf Aquatics

xenia question

snafuforyou1

snafuforyou1

Hellooooo everybody,

I've had my 10 gal tank set up for close to 2 years. I had a BTA and a colt that became too big so back to the lfs they went for credit. I returned with a smaller sebae anemone. The next day I noticed some small xenia which came with the rock the anemone was on. (lucky me). However I tried xenia before with no luck in my tank. I'm not quite sure why?

My lighting is 84 w of pc. 1 24w white 24 blue 1 36 w

Water parameters are:

am-0

nitrite-o

ph-8.2-8.3

nitrate-0-5

other inhabitants are:

maroon clown-

yellow coris-bi-color blennie-

clown goby-

candy anemone

various mushrooms(they keep reproducing)

green polyps

red sea grass

green algae

I also discovered a yellow sponge growing when I removed the colt.

I have about 15 lbs ls and 15 lbs of lr

I do weekly water changes of 3 gal. using NSW

all animals are doing well and are growing. as mentioned the colt coral and BTA had to be removed because they grew too large. The bta actually split in this tank a few months back!

What are specific needs of xenia? I didn't notice them at first but the otherday i saw 3 on the rock with the anemone today i see 9. I sure would like to help them grow and thrive. Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA         :jump:

Snaf

snafuforyou1

yep -all for over a year now-the maroon is getting too big for the tank also-i know its a lot of fish-most people will say its overlaoded - but no problems-the biggest surprise is the clown hasn't tried to boss anyone around yet and he's the biggest fish.

stryf3-I'm looking on advice for the xenia-thx for commenting with no comment

printerdown01

Stryf3, the problem with keeping a lot of fish in a tank is water quality... If you look at his perameters you can see that he isn't having a problem... Snafuforyou is probably able to do this because of the 3 gallon water change... Wouldn't be what I would do, but that's just because i'm lazy and like doing as little as possible while watching my tank grow... But he has found a solution that seems to work quite well (over a year! -Nice I'm impressed!)... Glad it works for you! Not encouraging others to do it (I've got 1 small maroon in my 12) but not condoning it either (way to find a solution that allowed you to do what you wanted to do)!

Any problems diatoms in your tank snafu (very interested in your responce, PM me with it if you want)? Um, back to the orig. question... W/O knowing what color your xenia is, I'm going to focus on water motion (doubt that with 83W you are going to have problems with light anyway). The best current for xenia that I have found is when you can get the current to pass over head... So that the direct current is moving above the xenia, while the xenia it self is left waving lightly in the left over current (sorry for the terrible description, it is easier to show than tell with this one)...

Alright simma down.  Let him have his opinion and just leave it at that.. snafuforyou1 was asking a question and he can listen to anybody he wants, so don't fight  

snafuforyou1

unfortunately ...now, i really feel sorry for the clown,

if this is really the case..then there is an abnormal growth for the clown, i know people that kept maroon clowns for over a year...and they grow very fast....

if you look at a 1 year old maroon clown and look how small a 10 gallon tank is....IMO it is way too big for the tank....

Like i said Printerdown01!!! NO COMMENT....

cuz unfortunately, i dont care if he has 3, 5, 10 fish in there, and add a lion fish with it.....its his tank, and i have nothing to do with it...so NEVER, EVER, EVER bring my name up like that...

i have NO COMMENT to the both of you, cuz you both have the same problem...he has one in a 10 and you have on in a 12...even if you know what the drawbacks are, you still do it, regardless what the future size will be...

like you said, you have one, but dont encourage nor condone other people from doing it...

meaning you know its not a good idea, not a good example, and definately not recommended, but you still do it. why? because you "think" your an exemption from others. So you have fun and good luck..

my friend for having no comment you sure comment alot and BTW u haven't mentioned anything about the XENIA-hello

snafuforyou1

Helloooo everybody,

The xenia are looking fine. Now I am able to count 20 stalks! They are beige in color and some are about 1/4"

in ht. Some are very tiny the size of a pin head. I can't tell if they pulse as the current hit off the glass and onto them. I am going to redirect current and see if they will pulse.

Thx for you comments and advice

Snaf  

printerdown01

Stryf3 (sorry, but I am going to have to use your name again... I hope you are ok with this -sarcasm NOT intened!):

I was not trying to offend you! I was not calling you out! And I do not wish to carry this discussion on over the board (I have PM you, and would appreciate it if you did the same)! I hope my PM clears things up for you... This is only for clarification on the forum... I did not use your name because I wanted to single you out, or anything like that! I simply used it, because I was addressing an issue you brought up... If I was addressing the original issue, I wouldn't have used anyone's name! But if I were to have just started rambeling about how he was able to keep 3 fish in the middle of a thread regarding xenia, it wouldn't have made sense!!! Thus, I used your name in order to expain why I was writing what I was! Also no need to attack me for keeping a maroon gold stripe in my tank!! He is VERY happy there, LOL. He has the entire tank to himself. I bought him when he was a juvenile (so he was increadibly teeny, now he is just small). And no it is not abnormal groth for these guys... I have keept many in the past, and have no idea where you got that from.. but would be interested in reading the sourse if you want to send it to me (again this is not sarcastic, I am interested). I would also be interested to know what "drawbacks" you are talking about... I have only been keeping nanos for a year, and thus consider myself a newbie at them! So if there are any drawbacks to keeping this guy, LET ME KNOW! He seems very happy, and is one of the most playful fish I have ever had... Also I don't know of a single rule that I'm violating by keeping the maroon.... so I don't see how I could feel as if I'm exempt... But as far as rules go: everyone here knows that I always believe that there are exemptions to "guidlines." Anyway, please, I didn't mean to attack you!! I was pointing out to everyone, that Snaf wasn't an irresponisble reefer, as it was sounding like he was... Instead, I was hoping to address the fact that he had decent water quality, and had found a way to do exactly what he was doing... He didn't break any rules, instead he altered the way most people take care of their tanks, to allow himself to keep what he wanted to keep. I only used your name as I did not want to sound like a rambeling idiot who posted a responce in the wrong thread! -I am sorry for offending you, even unintentionally!! I hope you understand this! -Feel free to IM me with any other personal comments... If you want to take shots at how I maintain or stock my reef feel free to on the board ;) , LOL. -At least people will learn from these comments... :-D ok, on a more serious note, again, I did not intend to attack you (i cannot say this enough!) and I don't like you attacking me... Feel free to do this via PM, but leave the board to reefing comments!

**hey snaf, thanks for the xenia up-date!! Glad that they are doing well, thus far! Keep me up-dated on their progress, especially if you start having problems with them again... Isn't it strange how sometimes even an easy to keep coral is problematic, lol. You could be keeping gonipora successfully for 5 years, and have a problem keeping button polyps! LOL, it all depends on the tank, and the situation at the given time! :)

(Edited by printerdown01 at 7:40 pm on May 21, 2002)

**(second edit) If anyone out there ever feels like I am insulting them, or that I have said anything slanderous against them PLEASE PM me!! I will be more than happy to explain what I said! I am not here to insult, correct, or belittle anyone!!

(Edited by printerdown01 at 10:31 pm on May 21, 2002)

snafuforyou1

Not a very good analogy

the maroon was placed in the tank when it was a juvy-very small about 1" in size. It has now grown some and may get too large for the tank.

Also the xenia i tried befor was very small and it was a single branch. That was about 1 1/2 yrs ago.

Currently he is becoming acquainted with the new smaller sebae anemone I placed in a few days back.

At first he stayed on the opposite side of the tank in a small cave and wanted nothing to do with it. (he missed the large BTA). He hasn'y bothered any of the others and is doing fine. If I keep trading the large pieces back to lfs for credit. I may have a source of free corals.

printerdown01

:glowface:thank you korbin! :glowface:

dude... i sent you appologies, not argument starters...  so again: I'm sorry, I never ment to offend you in any way shape or form.... It was never my intention to do so, and I'm still not sure how I did it, but I am sorry...

(Edited by printerdown01 at 5:28 am on May 24, 2002)

(Edited by printerdown01 at 6:05 am on May 24, 2002)

has anyone looked Strife up in the dictionary?

Toy

Strife: 1 a : bitter sometimes violent conflict or dissension <political strife> b : an act of contention : FIGHT, STRUGGLE

(Edited by Toyfreek at 3:49 am on May 24, 2002)

Xenia can be very fickle. They can do well in some instances but crash on others with good water. I don't have a good answer for you. I have had my ups and downs with it, right now I have been on an upswing for a year. It's sort of hit and miss....but don't forget to add some iodine sups.

I can't help it.... I am going to put in my opinion on the whole fish thing. MO bad idea printer....I know you say you have had the fish in there for over two years, but what you are doing is kinda selfish. The point isn't if it's possible to put that fish in a 10 gallon tank. I have no problem with the fact that you have a marroon in a ten, that's fine if you plan to remove it as it grows, but the problem is it should be the only fish in the tank. You have severely overcrowded your tank. Obviously this is not an issue of stablitiy (since you've had it running for two years), but humane conditions. You have three fish plus an anemone PLUS a boat load of other stuff. It's just not nice, your chioce just MO.

(Edited by fish04 at 10:32 am on May 24, 2002)

snafuforyou1

stryf3 (im sure you heard this many times before)-your wrong-

WE ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES-

i remember reading a post a while back that read -how many of you overstock your tanks-

it sure got a lot of hits and the majority of them were successful-clown w/anemone tanks along with other fish

if you read the original post the xenia were small to begin with-the lfs didnt see them on the rock they hitch-hiked on(neither did I) when i purchased the anemone that was on the same rock.   have you never moved animals into a bigger tank because of growth? a common occurrence in reefkeeping.

i think that  TOYFREEK may have a good definition for you-ck the above post -you sure your not a politician- for someone that has NO COMMENT you do a lot of commenting and usually not about the question at hand, but your rudeness surrounded by redicule and crticism-

However your knowledge is appreciated but, a little less sarcasm please- it would benefit the many people who frequent this board that you shared your knowledge- without being so critical -that would be more appreciated

FISH04

thx for you comments I believe they were meant for me not printer. Yes- I am sel-fish. aren't we all sel-fish by placing a little piece of the ocean in are homes and offices?I understand your concern for the fish in my tank and I can appreciate that.

I wasn't aware of the iodine sup- can you give info on how much to add, how often and which brand is best?  Also   Can you give stryf3 a few pointers on tact?

Printer

no diatoms since i've been using the NSW-only problem I currently have is aiptasia-i picked up a hitchiker awhile back and it has become large-it didnt bother me at first -it was next to some red sea grass and they looked pretty good next to each other- My problem is i have seen seen a few small ones recently--argghhhhh - i'm thinking a pep shrimp to irradicate the prob-even though it will prob eat all my tiny feather duster worms cause the aiptasia are locted in places i can't get to and I don't want to tear down the tank.

The xenia are doing fine- they have opened up more and i count more than 20 on this rock now!-maybe they didnt like being in the fish store-they were unnoticeable when i looked at them in the tank they were in.

Also the clown has made the new smaller anemone its home! It is very interesting watching it slowly becoming acquainted with it. Maybe it was building up it's immunity? The clown has been removing objects from and sweeping sand away from the anemone all morning. It's funny watching it trying to wrap the anemone around itself like it was a blanket. Again what surprises me is he doesn't defend his territory from the others. The other fish hang out right in front of the anemone and they don't get any reaction from the clown! Sometimes I'm afraid they'll get too close and be stung. If I get hold of a digital I'll post a picture.

It's a gr8 tank and I have been enjoying it.

Thx again for the help and info  

(Edited by snafuforyou1 at 5:36 pm on May 24, 2002)

please do not attack me....i just wanted to give my opinion that you have too many fish in there...and your maroon clown will get big for your tank.....thats it.....

no need to defend yourself...i already said...you do whatever you want, its your tank.....and still you want to keep sending me private messages, and bring my name back up over and over again...

and i know why...

cuz you need approval, you always want to hear the positive side...so ill be erasing all my post and agree with you, so you have nothing to complain about...so lets start over again.....

dude...im proud of you..that you are succesful in keeping maroon clowns in a nano....and not to mention anomone's and more fish, i  like your style..please give me information so i can do the same thing that you do...give me pointers on how to be succesful....and be like you....please post a picture of your tank too ...so me and other people can copy, learn and admire your tank and your ways of reef keeping... back in the day, i wanted to put one too in my 7 gallon...but some people who mostly hang out at the nano-reef chatroom and some here at the message board called me an dumbass for even thinking about it....but you know what....their the dumbass cuz i got 2 guys in here that say's you can...and they do practice the procedure and are successful...so starting  tommorow...i will forget all what i learned in this hobby and start learning from the both of you...so starting tomorrow i will go out to buy a nice maroon clown, that i always wanted, and of course, an anemone. and never, ever go by the rule of book and whats  recommended.

i really hope that this makes you very, very happy. cuz now, the arguement is over....

Archived