Cultivated Reef

To Skim or not to skim that is the question?

knobber

I am starting up a 12 gallon eclipse setup. I wasn't sure if I should add a skimmer or not. i see some people on this board have skimmers and some don't. Please share your opinon. Also if you do use a skimmer what trace elements do you use.thanks

I don't have one because it was just another piece of equiptment to buy.  The consensus around here seems to be that they are not needed on tanks as small as ours, although using one will give you a "safety net" and a wider margin for error.  

I just figured I'd go without one and if I develop problems with excess nutrients, I could always add one on.  HTH.

Satchmo said it perfectly.  I applied the same logic and decided to go with a skimmer as my tank was larger than traditional nanos.

I say if you can afford one, get one. altho it is totally not necessary, this is not a hobby to skimp and be cheap. i have a 10 gallon with a skimmer and it works fine. from what people have told me it does not remove a whole lot of trace elements and you can always dose. i've had my tank for 5 months and everything is doing well. soft corals spreading, fish doing fine...

korona

Weekly water changes should replenish any trace minerals that might be lost.  I started out skimmerless, but I think I'm going to break down and add a BakPak to my 20, since I like to feed heavily and need some more nutrient export.

I started out skimmerless, and although they have drawbacks (Noise, lost trace elements, bubbles, etc. etc.) my tank is doing much better with the skimmer in there.

IMHO.

Archived