inTank Media Baskets

EBIN's 20L FRAMELESS

ebin

I think the pink will give the illusion that the back is covered in corraline.

I've thought about it, but can't stand the idea. To each his own I suppose.

Nice tank/stand, btw.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CarolinaReefer

Ebin -

Nice tank - can't wait to see it up and running - who made the tank for you - I am interested in getting one similarly sized and I too am not a fan of acrylic...

Thanks,

CR B)

PS - The pink is definitely a statement!!!

cool beans

Wow one of my goals in this hobby is to get a compliment from a reefer such as you who i look up to as the novice I am thanks.

Sweet tank. Very cool looking, and I like the downpipe idea. I know the The Fish Room (LFS in Temecula, CA) uses these downpipes for a bunch of their tanks, but they don't have the cool durso setup to quiet them down. I know that just the plain pipe is noisy, but have no experience with the durso. I'd be curious also as to the noise level of the setup. Not for the current tank I have, but for the next tank I may be getting :-)

I ran my 29 straight pipe and rather enjoyed the sound. I originally got the idea from fish room. as a matter a fact this tank I got from matt.I would go straight pipe on this tank but figured it is too pretty to go lazy on and wanted to try out the diy stuff a bit more

Ebin, Long time no see! Please tell me you didn't give up all your zoas!!?! :(

Karen I am doing all I can to ensure those zoos make it through my move, and new setup just so I can hold good to my promise.

I think the pink will give the illusion that the back is covered in corraline.

I've thought about it, but can't stand the idea. To each his own I suppose.

Nice tank/stand, btw.

lol thanks

Nice tank - can't wait to see it up and running - who made the tank for you - I am interested in getting one similarly sized and I too am not a fan of acrylic...

It was custom ordered in southern california I will find out and post.

oooh very nice, was the custom tank cheap?

I was fortunate enough to get this tank as cheap as I did. it was originally a order that a customer never came and got so a friend had it at his shop so I was able to swoop it up, so he did not have to eat the $$ for the order.

For tank and stand I paid $100.00 cash, like I said I was very lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

As for all the background haters...

I wanted mostly to do a bit of a different thing with the tank, I had the pink paint from when I painted some of my kids furniture (plus I am too cheap to buy more paint). During my thought process of what color to do the tank I wanted to not only try a new thing but be very mindful of a few basic lighting principals. Black and darker colors (I.E. BLUE) will tend to absorb light...would you paint the inside of your hood a color that will not have good reflective qualities? why not do the same with the background. I used a light pink hoping it would look more natural than a white (plus as said earlier I had it lying around :) )

Ebin! You're awesome :) You know if you need a holding tank for those zoas I would honestly keep them for you until your new system is up and running and I would only ask for a small frag in return ;) Honestly, my tank is set-up for zoanthids so if you want, I'd be happy to look after them for you. As far as the pink background is concerned, I think it's brilliant! I really like the idea and think it is a clever way to get the reflection into the tank and not have the troubles that a white background would have with dirt. Plus as another member said, the coralline will blend right in :)

I will be making my sump/fuge from a glass tank and some acryllic panneling,

got the tank and the silicone/acryllic for the sump cost $30.

tank is 18 gallon top fin glass. has the same footprint as a 10 gallon just twice as tall.

This is gonna be an Idol Nano someday I can feel it. Don't worry about the pink hater's...they're just insecure with their own sexuality. We've all got high expectations for this tank, don't let us down.

So I built my standpipe today I really do not like how high out of the water it stands. is it supposed to be this high? I never built a standpipe this way before I may go get a different end cap for the top to bring it down a bit.

npqoba.jpg

npqoh2.jpg

can I paint the pvc? like with krylon plastic paint? I think if it was painted it mighnt get a little nicer.

I also bought a piece of riser pipe and a cool little cap with a hole in it to make my intake for the closed loop it will be like a little standpipe in the rear right of the tank. I am going to drill lots of holes in it this will keep animals from getting sucked in and clogging it.

nprgqg.jpg

Here is the tank that will be used for the sump, alond with some of the materials.

nprhxd.jpg

Well I nixed the loop idea and am going to try to get away with just bumping up the gph on the return pump and having it split to 2 return2 in the back if the tank, I ordered a quiet one 4000 pump to run in my sump.

I cut the acryllic a shade too wide for my sump need to get back to my buddies to fix that.

iif one were so inclined to make a perfect looking (japanese style), frameless, trimless tank...why would you (excuse the term) bastardize it with a background? you may as well purchased an aga...just my two cents.

Actually I intended to put a backgroung to keep the look clean, and thanks for letting me in on the japanese had the frameless tank market cornered...did I disgrace some sacred code? Is that samuri at the door? and what is perfect looking in this hobby?

:lol:

If I put no background on this thing then you would see all the gadgets and such and would THEN defeat the whole purpose of my intent to go frameless in the first place. I want my display to only be rock and coral no equipment seen. you will see the standpipe but I am working on how to fix that.

Now back to the tank I ordered the pump (quiet one 4000) got it new for $50 so I coulden't pass it up. it is rated at 1018 gph but with the reef central calculator for head loss I got about 630-720 gph we will see once it is all plumbed. I still gotta have the returns drilled I may drop it off tomorrow if I have time before leaving to the frag farmers market in ontario. Pump is coming fedex and should be here tues-wed. I am on the fence about the bulkheads should I reduce the lines from 1" to 3/4"? if I did it would reduce flow but add a thumb over the hose effect to the return... hmmm I am at a loss there and may just have to put the drilling off till it is decided.

it's ok drowning.

So I am going to reduce the return line to 3/4" at the bulkheads just before te return this should keep some good pressure hat the return nozzles. fedex will have the pump to me on wednesday and I needed one more bulkhead that I ordered lastnight should arrive on tuesday. Ijust barely missed the glass place today they closed before I could get there. so monday morning I will be dropping off the tank for the last 2 holes to be drilled in the back, they said it will be done that day or the next morning at the latest.

My sump is on hold for the moment I got to take a slight edge off the acryllic to get it in the tank I have and silicone it all in place.

if all goes well (wich it never does) I could be looking at water in the tank by thursday.

well just dropped the tank off at the glass shop for the last 2 holes to be drilled for the returns I hope these guys can get it done without breaking the tank. It is scary hearing them say if it breaks we are not responsible for it. But that is why they are professionals, I guess it is a better chance I would break it trying to drill the holes myself than them.

sould be done late today, or tomorrow morning latest.

Do they have any liability if the tank breaks? I like the pink background- I'm looking into an acrylic tank and I might paint the back pink. What paint did you use?

Reefer Addict

I haven't seen or read anything good or bad about the market that took place last Saturday... I had family obligations which made it impossible for me to attend.

Where you able to go?

At first I was surprised to see the pink background but after thinking about it I bet it's going to be really nice. I have pinkish lavender walls in my bedroom and when looking through the side of my tank it's quite pretty. Through the water with the bluish light it turns a periwinkle blue.

Hmmm...maybe I should do a lavender background on my 20L. :D

Do they have any liability if the tank breaks? I like the pink background- I'm looking into an acrylic tank and I might paint the back pink. What paint did you use?

no there is no liability they had me sign a waiver and disclosure. I really was not too scared just worried as it would have been more down time without the tank if I hav to replace the back pane of glass.

how was the market? i talked to someone who went and came home with $1000 worth of coral. how's the light spread of your bell pendant?

I was very impressed with the frags there and liked alot of what I saw and some of the prices were high but overall it was much cheaper than I had expected, plus I left way before it was over and at the end I heard there were some real price breaks in the stock vendors had just to get rid of all they had. Wish this tank was going I would have spent a few bucks. I really did not like how hot and crowded it was for the price to get in.

as for the pendant when I had it over my hex the spread was excellent it should prove to throw a decent light pattern over the footprint of this tank (20 long). about as big a foot print I would go with it is like a 30 gallon oceanic cube or a 40 breeder. It has definately performed better than I expected. loks like a light that should be hanging in an old cement cell rather than over a fishtank.

I haven't seen or read anything good or bad about the market that took place last Saturday... I had family obligations which made it impossible for me to attend.

Where you able to go?

you should have been there ra

Archived