Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The End is NEAR!!!!!!!!!!

Djm9288

I think I am finally seeing the end of the tunnel of HAir algae!!!!!!! Woo hoo!!! No i also have a bit of bubble algae, so i may try an emerald crab, or something. Im just so happy! m gonna go do a water change so cya!

Originally posted by Djm9288

I think I am finally seeing the end of the tunnel of HAir algae!!!!!!! Woo hoo!!! No i also have a bit of bubble algae, so i may try an emerald crab, or something. Im just so happy! m gonna go do a water change so cya!

What specifically have you done to get rid of it?

printerdown01

LOL. Been there done that, and hope to never have to go though it again! Keep those phosphates down ;) . It will all go away eventually. Sorry, it is a pretty humbling battle. Right now I'm actually trying to get rid of a very attractive algae in my tank. The problem is that it has slowly grown to become problematic. It is now beginning to bore into my porites X) ! I can't just pull it as the roots remain in my rocks and sprout again... Even beautiful algae seems to become problematic (should have thought about this before hand -I know better than to allow a rooted plant to grow in my tank- Stupid!) ARG!

They sell bubble algae at my LFS $5.00 for a fist sized hunk. I have some in my tank that came in on some rock, Is it bad?

If you are serious, yes. Yes, it is bad! I can't believe you LFS sells it! It isn't anywhere NEAR as bad as hair algae though!! You can often keep bubble under control. BUT if it does have an out break you are SOL!! I have a spp. in my tank right now that doesn't pose much of a problem. Rather than breaking off or sporating it seems to buld upon itself. I have had it for quite some time and don't mind as it is a small patch. I had a small clum (about quater sized) in my old 55 gallon for years -without any problems. It grew slowly enough to maintain. Do NOT pop the bubbles though! If this is done on a mature bubble spores could be released into the water...

Bubble algae is actually pretty tough, if you don't like it, you can dislodge it from the rock quite easily with your fingers and then either net it or siphon it out.

In most scenarios bubble algae is no big deal, many people actually don't mind having some in their tank. On rare occasions it does get out of control.

All I have been doing, is more frequent water changes, and sucking the Hair alage out when doing a change! It hasnt grown back, I say I have about 1.5 weeks until it completely dies off! How exciting!

i'd pluck the bubble algae out. the hair can be mowed down but emeralds are hit/miss imo. a couple of turbos should graze that down or a gaggle of blues.

there are many species of bubble algaes. I for one have a few growing in various tanks. You really have to know what you are looking at and which ones are nusances.

Agreed, they are probably selling grape caulerpa or something similar with a bubble appearance. The nusance "bubble" algae that is most common looks like a green "bubble" and will grow to a green marble. Some "bubble" algae's are good macro algae's and that is most likely what the are selling.

Archived