Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Skilter 250

insp

(dave, at least it ain't another prizm thread) :rolleyes:

either way imo. i'd at least use it to restrict some of the bubbling issues. you'd need something to impede the bubbles, especially if you retrofit the skilter (which most seem to do).

Buy a replacement sponge cartridge for a Whisper Triad and trim it to fit in the Skilter frame. Works perfect and you never have to replace it, just rinse it regularly. If you want to stay with the floss go to a cloth store and buy a yard of quilt batting for almost nothing and cut out about a dozen or so pieces to fit, again cheaper than buying their replacements and if you lay them side by side they are the same thing!

spudds,

the retrofit physh and i are talking about is just dropping in a wooden airstone (connected to an air pump of course) : to augment the bubbles in the reaction chamber. the venturi bubbles created by the skilter's motor is insufficient imo (and others it seems).

actually i would thread the airline thru one of the holes at the bottom of the reaction chamber. that's the easiest imo. just remember to replace the airstone every so often (monthly or so ime).

Ah, I see, I misread initially. I thought you were suggesting an alteration to cut the amount of bubbles that escape. Instead you were suggesting one that creates more thus making floss more necessary... I switched it around when I read it.

Spudds.

I did the wooden airstone mod on mine also. I drilled a hole in the lid just large enough to push an airline through directly over the bubble column. Then I use a rena air pump with an adjustable out put. Then completely close off the factory air intake so you dont have to listen to its noise.

Archived