Pod Your Reef

Corallife 175w MH Ballast = Any bulb?

magohn

Hello All

This may seem like a silly question but after watching used MH 175w pendants go for almost retail on ebay, I decided to buy new. I just ordered a Coralife 175w pendant form HelloLights. My question is: Will this ballast operate any 175w bulb or does it have to be Coralife specific. I ask because I know Coralife also makes a 'dawn-dusk' ballast that IS bulb specific. Also, what is a 'magnetic ballast'?.

So Im just checking with you guys. Sorry for the dumb questions...

P.S. Here are the specs...only $189! Seems a decent deal!

* Remote magnetic ballast with 15' cord.

* UV-absorbing acrylic lens.

* Available in black, bronze, white or gray.

* Allows easy aquarium maintenance.

* 9.5" diameter 14" tall.

You should be able to run most mogul base 175 watt bulbs with no issues. A magnetic ballast is simply transformer based instead of electronic. The magnectic type run hotter, much hotter, than electronic. Some bulbs burn stronger on electronic and some run better on magnetic.

You can read this http://www.californiareefs.com/tanktechlighting.htm for some info on magnetic vs. electronic ballasts and what determines what bulbs work on what ballast.....

Hope that helps, Cameron

those are 12000K if memory serves.... they are indeed an exclusive bulb and ballast system. FWIW, I had the displeasure of toying with one... they are BIG POS and are not even worth the pennies per pound on the scrap metal from their cases.

get a god unit. you will thank yourself later.

I run two coral life ballasts with 10k bulbs and i am very satisfied with them good bulb life to

bulbs last about a year then i change them

Archived