Top Shelf Aquatics

Fragging gsp

jdiver

I have a whole bunch of star polyps that are spreading like mad, and I would like to trim them back basically. The rock that they're growing on is a sloped rock, so I can't place other rocks next to it to "detour" the gsp and then just remove those rocks. I thought about taking a razor blade and slicing it, then peeling it off, but I don't think that would work well given the irregularities of the rock. Does anyone have a good method for doing what I want to do?

try cutting smaller patches with a thin pen knife or scalpel from the edge. then cut a little of the leading edges. it should be able to peel off sections. thing is irregularly surfaced gsp's will tend to grow like a cancerous tumor when laid flat (i.e. in all different directions, even onto themselves sometimes).

try to match the cutting to a targeted rock (curvature, etc.). you may have to dremel the rock or force the mat down with bands. altho the gsp doesn't do as well when forced or banded tightly ime.

Just peel and go! You can't hurt that stuff.

Any greasy little spot left on rock grows back into GSP.

I remove little squares, spaced about an inch apart and 1/4"-1/2" in diameter.

Then, glue them to somebody when they are not looking. Hours later, they are covered in Green Star Polyps!

(actually, I just glue them to rock or glass! but, you knew that.... ;)

Archived