SaltCritters.com

Need Urgent Help For Science Research!!

tyh

Hey guys, i need suggestions on a research topic to write a proposal. It is about marine fouling and intertidal communities. Plus, simbiotic interactions between crustaceans and other invertebrates.

Can anyone suggest an experiment for this? or any ideas what so ever?

any input is highly appreciated as this is urgent! =)

cheers

there are a number of anemone-shrimp/crab symbiotic relationships that you could deal with. marine fouling sounds alot like pollution so i wouldn't exactly condone torturing our critters. hmmm. are you thinking about setting up multiple tanks and testing one condition, and if so what kind of "fouling" product are we talking. needless to say this type of project could get rather expensive and time consuming. lemme know.

tg

Pistol shrimp and several types of crabs mainly in the Trapezia genus have commensial relationships with various corals. Studies have shown that coral colonies with resident crustaceans are less likely to be attacked and killed by nasty starfish. The crabs are known to snip away at the tube feet and #### off the stars.

there was a good thread on this about 4 months or so ago.... do a search for reports, research, topics, and a few other key words... i'm sure it will jump out.. I KNOW I repliedi it

HTH

printerdown01

is this an experiment or a report? My guess is that this is the AP bio or bio 100 design your own experiment, write a proposal, and then preform the experiment over 2 months or something like that...? If that is the case my brother is working on one right now. He is actually trying to figure out, tons, how much phytoplankton is required to support the zooplankton population of rotifers (or something like that...). You could try to determine WHY pistol shrimps and shrimp gobies pair up. There has been some suggestion that the shrimps don't have the greatest vision, but from what I understand scientific studies have proven that the shrimps can see just as well as any other shrimp. So the benifits of the partnership are not clear... Might be fun, and you might actually discover something new. But you might just spend a lot of time determining nothing, if you can't find the answer!

*Take Dave's advice and do the search, there were several suggestions for a reserach report, that may point you in the right direction for your experiment!

Archived