Cultivated Reef

What is that???

clifford513

Just got back from lfs and they said I need to get a floating hydrometer. Can anyone tell me what it is, if I need one, and where to get it. I heard they are really expensive and I don't want to spend the money on something I don't need. Please help.

If u get a hydrometer, get one of those swinging arms ones. But more preferably, get a refractometer, They are the best. The floating Hyd. is a glass tube thing that u put in yur water, and based on the salinity, it will float to the proper S. G,.

I use the floating kind and they are $3.99 at petco. there are more precise floating hydrometers that cost around $17.00 I like them and would not want the hassle of a swing arm.

tell you what i have 2 differant brands of the swing arm style and i halso have a very spendy hydrometer/thermoter for my home brewing. the slight differance in the 2 is so minimal its not worht the extra money. i onced asked a very nice LFS owner and chemist what the best S.G. i should keep my tank at and he said stick you finger in it and taste it if its salty its fine! that means that the differance between 1.019 and 1.025 isn't much and that you should watch your livestock more than anything they will tell you theres something wrong. sometimes people think you need to have super high tech gadgets to keep a tank. they can make things alot simpler but not really necassary

just my .02cents

Archived