Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

best equipment for a 72 gallon bowfront w/sump

xavier1

I had a 72g oceanic RR tank a few years ago. The thing that ###ed me off was the canopy. I had a hard time finding one to fit my lights. other than that it was a cool tank. I would use 2x250 watt halides and if you can afford it some actinics, if not use an XM 20k. check out one of these 2 way squirts

http://www.oceansmotions.com/ you could probablly use one for your return.

I guess everyhting depends on how much money you are trying to spend, and what you want to keep in the tank. If you have a budget post it and I can give you some good ideas. and is the tank RR?

well im a kid so i dont have an unlimited budget but i work at a fish store so i can special order almost anything i want so all the money i ever will make is probly going into this tank

the tank i dont have yet but where would i get the rr version its not even on their site

and how much did the canopy,sump,stand,and tank get you for

sorry i frogot to post the budget i would only(i say this very loosly) like to spend 2000-2500 but less if i can find good deals on the good equipment

plus i will be adding very slowly

the tank and stand I got for 500 bc oceanic shipped it accidentally to the LFS, but expect to pay alot more than that, Im not sure about now but you oculdnt find anything but a plastic canopy unless you wanted to get one custom built, the bowfront looks nice, but I would seriously reccomend getting a 90 gallon rectangle, the stand and canopy , and tank will be way cheaper and easier to find plus you will have a bigger tank.

maybe how much cheeper are we talking about ,enouh to cover the difference in sizes of pumps?, heaters?, live rock and sand, lights?,sump?, and all that other good stuff?

coould you give me a semi quote on the whole setup?

ok im checking the prices now, an ocenaic rr bowfront is $305.00, the oak stand and canopy is 1400.00 unless you went with the black stand which is 250 but you cant get a canopy you would have to get one made compared to 90gallon AGA RR is about 270.00 and around here I can get the stand for 160.00 and the canopy for like 135.00 the tank being flat on all sides makes a huge difference in the price of the canopy and stand

BTW the tank is basically the same size so the euqipment would be exactly the same.

mag 7 for return =55 bucks

2 powerheads= about 35 bucks

lights,2x 250 watt MH with XM 20k bulbs 360 bucks, or 4 vho setup about 270

Skimmer 200 bucks

heaters

sump

you should get the idea

how much would all this stuff cost for a 90(i know pricew varies by region but for you what would this cost)

~tank 300

~stand 200

~canopy 200

~sump(whATs a good size?)

~plumbing

~scwd 50

~mag 18 100

~mag 24 150

~heater 20

~skimmer 250

~live rock 500

~live sand 200

~fans 60

~light i already have one 250

and anything else you can think of that would be a nessesity for the tank

or if you dont want to go find out prices could you maybe tell what to look up for each item

I dont think I would use a mag 24 or 18, do you plan on having the tank drilled? for your sump I would try to find someone local to make one out of an aquarium, maybe a 30 gallon,plumbing should be cheap, I wouldnt use an SCWD, I would save up for the oceansmotions which is about 60 bucks more, you could always add it later as a closed loop over the top of the tank, so use a smaller pump like the mag 7 for your sump return and a more powerful pump for your loop like mag 12, you can find LR for about 3 dollars a pound shipped, about 280 for rock sand another 70-90 bucks if you buy live sand from the LFS, fans are a couple bucsk at radioshack. If I didnt cover anything let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Reefgeek,

Have you read my thread on the 72 gallon evolution that I created??? If you want this tank but want to cut corners go with the AGA instead of the Oceanic you will save a lot...

MG

yes i have read your thread and i love it but the money is in the front of my mind so i think i have to go w/a 40gallon breeder instead but later when i get some money i would like to get the 72

Archived