Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

JBJ v/s PSL

bayo

I have decided to get a 2 x 36 PC lighting hood for my 10 gal. I like the JBJ set up as well as the PSL. Just wondering if anyone has any special likes/dislikes about either.

my (not so) unbiased opion says JBJ rocks. the hoods are made from solid aluminum with a slick, sexy enamel-ish coating, the endcaps have fans and everything (fans and individual bulbs) has independent switches. the formosa line comes with separate power lines which is great if you want to hook your lights to timers. JBJ recently came out with a newer version of their leg stands. yes, these are optional and do not come standard with the fixture ($15) but are hinged so once the legs are clamped on your tank rim, the hood flips up. some people will tell you the old JBJs used to blow bulbs. i don't see how this should affect your purchase of the new models. yes, there were problems with the old JBJs, but that was back when nobody (not only JBJ) installed fans in their hoods. some people will tell you they've had issues with noise from the their JBJ hood. fans are noisey. if it bother's you so much, don't run the fan, but don't complain when your bulbs crap out. besides, if the noise is such a problem, a fan upgrade to a lower dB rated fan is simple. one last note on the hoods: if you have a 2x96w hood, you may have experienced some premature bulb failure. i spoke with one of the members on this board about his experience and he told me that upon calling JBJ-lighting, was told that the manufacturer of the transaquaria-bulbs had distributed a "bad-apple" batch and promptly sent him two replacements.

I also highly recommend JBJ's retrofit systems. the external ballasts come with 2 switches that run each of the bulbs on separate power cords. the ballasts are also encased in a rugged shell with fans on their case endcaps. the bulb sockets (endcaps) are moisture-proof. the system includes a sturdy rippled aluminum reflector and clips. (jbjlighting.com)

though i have not yet personally done business with PSL, i believe in their product and recommend them highly. as of late, several people have shared stories of "delayed shipments" and "incorrect orders" but as i understand it, the company is managed and labored by one man. moreover i think it is important to point out that every one of these stories has ended up with the customer quite satisfied (if not overly). PSL, unlike JBJ offers customability. on the website (petsupplyliquidator.com) you can easily choose colors of material, bulb type, cord and fan options and bulb wattage. the company also provides complete custom jobs where you can request the entire specs of your needed project. don't bother looking for a phone number, just email him. PSL also makes MH fixtures and PC-MH combos (two thumbs up for that!)

i would say that for the hood you get in terms of quality and price, these two lighting solutions are very competative.

edit: JBJ makes a "desktop formosa" that is 17" and houses 2-24w compact fluorecent bulbs. the legs on this unit are adjustable and will lengthen or shorten to custom fit your tank (standard 5.5, 10, 15, minibow 7 etc.). PSL's 19" 2-36w "solar compact" runs for about the same price (if you add fans, which the JBJ does) and would also make for a great open-tank 10. too bad you weren't paying attention to the nano-reef classifieds. member "mikeE" just upgraded his minibow7 to MH and sold his used, custom 2x32w system (he used 2, CustomSeaLife 32w Smartlamps in a gutted JBJ Desktop formosa).... for about $85!

Kinda makes a mother proud.. don't it?

Tell me about my CSL lights, tell me tell me...... pwease Ad

(shameless bump to the top for all those wunderin' about lights)

Originally posted by glazer

Kinda makes a mother proud.. don't it?

Tell me about my CSL lights, tell me tell me...... pwease Ad

(shameless bump to the top for all those wunderin' about lights)

well..... until someone sends me a smartlamp to play around with, i can only report from my observations and what i hear. if you're looking for compact fluorecent retro-fits for your reef and got some cash to blow, go with CSL (www.customsealife.com). CLS is probably the only company that can rightfully use the term "PowerCompact" and i'd have to say, their bulbs (referring to quality of actinics) win my vote for output and longevity. i've yet to hear a complaint about any of CLS's products (of which they provide a good variation). CSL offers a retro that's made for eclipse system upgrades.

ok who wants to hear my opinions on hellolights? ahsupply?

giggle giggle... stupid grazer.

Yeah, post your opinion on the Actinic 03's at Hellolights. I just saw a thread on RC where the guy says his monitporas grew a lot faster under that light as opposed to the 71000K blues he previously had.

PSL is the deal! The hood is light, compact, and looks great! My only problem is that one of the bulbs is cracked, but given PSL's reputation I fully expect they will replace it.

BTW I got a 55wx2 on my 10g.

update

I ordered my jbj lights from Reef Encounter (located in NJ). I got the 2 x 36watt which are 19" in length. I would recommend this LFS if you are in the area, or if you would like to order jbj lights online. Their customer service is GREAT and the prices are very competitive.

Archived