Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hair Algae Solutions in Nano

rlinusc

Hey all,

I was wondering how all of you combat your hair algae?  I used RO?DI water, have 3 typesof snails, strombus, astrea, and nerite. Have scarlet hermits (though i think i have only 2 survivors) and a couple of mini reef hermits (not sure if they actually survived.)  But even before my crash the hair algae was out of control.  Any thought?  my Nitrates was on slightly high side, but otherwise everything else was very clean.

Linus

What wavelength are your lights (make sure you are on the higher end) High end spectrum pronmotes calciferous algae, and low end promotes hair/slime algae.

Also be sure you have good calcium levels. If calcium levels are too low the hair algae will grow.....I'm a poet and didn't even know it ;)

good point. THanks!

I use both a 32 watt Smart Lite retr fit and a a 13 Watt lamp from AH Supply. i am not sure of it's wavelength i got their retro fit kit.

Hi Linus,

The nitrates are low because the hair algae is using it up, so it looks low when you test.

A little more about the tank would be helpful.  

Temp, SG, phote period, type of lights, supplements.

I have a 10 gallon using ro/di that gets a bit of hair algae.  When I was trying to raise the calcium levels the hair algae began to take off as well. I stopeed adding supplements and the algae has died down, but not completely.  This tank has a temp of around 78

This isn't exactly an answer, but I would be curious if you are doing the same.  I also have a 55 gallon that is killing me in the hair algae department and that seems to be related to a raised temperature due to several power heads in the tank (roughly 84 degrees, No sump)

Guy

Okay sorry for the lack of specs.. 15 gallon nano attached to 15 gallon refuguim (no hair in there for some reason, though it has the 2 13 watt bulbs there as well).  Lighting on main tank is 32 watt smart light, 2 13 watt 6400K retro fit light from AH Supply. Temp is 81-82 degrees. I don't dose, i use weekly water changes and skim occasionally.

Linus

I'd be interedted in finding a solution to such problems before they arise.

I am setting up my nano-reef as I write, and hopefully there will be answers to combat such pests.

Archived