inTank Media Baskets

No heater

wooz29

Currently I am cycling my tank and running the lights 12 on 12 off. My temp is staying between 78 & 80. My question is does this 2 degree fluctuation cause any problems? Also my salinity is at 1.021 for the past 4 days. Is 1.021 acceptable or should I raise it to 1.025?

Thank you

:D

Currently I am cycling my tank and running the lights 12 on 12 off. My temp is staying between 78 & 80. My question is does this 2 degree fluctuation cause any problems? Also my salinity is at 1.021 for the past 4 days. Is 1.021 acceptable or should I raise it to 1.025?

Thank you

:D

I'd raise the salinity. My temperature swings between 78 and 80 as well throughout the day, so I don't think it's an issue.

DO NOT, dump salt directly into a tank ever, always mix it first.

To raise salinity, add salt water

Why would you not want to dump it directly in the tank while cycling?

well if you are first setting it up its fine...i assume you have LR in the tank? If so, mix it first.

And adding salt directly can result in you putting way to much in very easily.

First off..it's specific gravity....you are discussing specific gravity. Salinity is measured in percentage points and is a DIFFERENT PARAMETER.

The 'proper' way to raise your specific gravity is to do your water changes with a slightly higher level s.g. Eg. if you are at 1.021, do your next 10% water change with 1.022. The other way to do it would be to let your s.g. drift slowly down one point and then topoff with the same s.g. SW.

DONT DUMP SALT MIX INTO THE TANK UNLESS IT IS EMPTY and it is being prepped for LR and LS. SH

First off..it's specific gravity....you are discussing specific gravity. Salinity is measured in percentage points and is a DIFFERENT PARAMETER.

So sorry :huh:

Yes....salinity is the amount of salt dissolved in a fixed volume of water and is not dependent on temperature. Specific gravity is the density of salt in a unit of water and IS dependent on temperature, hence, why many refractometers are calibrated to be accurate within a varied set of temps. SH

Archived