Innovative Marine Aquariums

How many people out there have replaced their sponge

scatcat

In my NC 12, I have one sponge (cut in half) in chamber one then some filter floss on top.

Change the filter floss every 2-3 days.

Rinse sponge every week then replace with another.

That filter floss really pulls some disgusting stuff from the water and I only have one fish.

Water appears nice and clear.

Go to wallmart, back in the crafts section, and just buy a big bag of it for around $1-$2. Make sure you get the non-chemically treated one. Says 100% non-toxic, or something similar to discern it from some of the others.

I used it in FW tanks all the time.

Ok thanks for the tip. I will ceck it out. I want to get rid of the complete sponge but that's a lot of fiber fill.

Scat

You don't want / need that much. In my 24g Cube I put LR pieces in bay 1 up to about 2" below the bottom of the overflow. On to pf that I put a piece of plastic grating. I cut a piece of filter pad to size and put it on top of the grate. I change it every week. I tried filter floss but it was messy to remove. The pad is much easier.

Sparkling_Surfer

I took out the sponge and now I only run polyester fiber. I use a chunk about 1" thick and stretch it out so it is tall enough to fit perfectly in the back compartment. I change it every week. Water is crystal clear :) You wouldn't believe the disgusting stuff this pulls out of the water.

I took out the sponge and now I only run polyester fiber. I use a chunk about 1" thick and stretch it out so it is tall enough to fit perfectly in the back compartment. I change it every week. Water is crystal clear :) You wouldn't believe the disgusting stuff this pulls out of the water.

I never thought about stretching it that will make it go a little further. Thanks for the suggestion.

Scat

I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread b/c I am going to use something in the 10gal split I am putting together. I would never have thought of using non-toxic fill from the WalMart craft isle....

Props to calvin fo an awsome sig. Good luck w/the Mac.

Archived