Pod Your Reef

How hard is it to keep Blastos?

SCUBALeah

Well? How hard is it?

I have a 30gal tank with 130w PC's. It is not possible to keep all coral in my tank due to the PCs. Can I keep Blastos? If so are they a harder coral to care for? I've only been in the hobby for 6 months and I am ready to branch out from my zoos mushrooms candy canes and brain, so what about blastos? Can they be the next step?

post-17377-1138570850_thumb.jpg

mushroom head

Well i have 110watt PC light over my 20g and i have blastos like the ones in that picture. I actually have 5 kinds of blastos in it.

Blastos do well under lower lighting and low flow. You'll have no problem w/ them. Just feed them Mysis/squid/silversides/cyclopeeze once a week and they'll love you for it.

They are not very hard to keep. I think they say that they are not good shippers but once you get them with some TLC they will be ok. I have mine under 250W of MH in my 20g tank and they are doing great. I heard they do better under lower light as well so I think you are in good hands. They are beautiful corals. I highly recomend them.

shao-lin nano

I could be worng but certain color morphs do better in my tank than others...have any of you experienced this?

Maybe it's just that some started out healthier.

I could be worng but certain color morphs do better in my tank than others...have any of you experienced this?

Which colors do better? Do you have high or low lighting? (maybe this will influence what I get :) )

That could have been that one species was Merletti and the other Wellsi. Hmm...Not sure dude, hahaha

That's certainly true of other cnidarians for me: some zoas stay brilliant, others brown up.

The only blasto I have (a tiny frag of merleti that is seemingly bullet-proof, under 40W PC's over a 5.5g) has neon-green centers under the lfs halides--in my tank it has more of a lime-green shade. I'm still happy with it, but guess I would say, watch out for the "neon-green centered" morphs of merleti...

--Diane

shao-lin nano

Sorry, let me clearify. I only have wellsi in my tank. I had this amazing red with gold center placed in same place as my other blasto wellsi and it just didn't make it while others flourished.

I have areas of high lighting and high flow but I grouped all my blastos in low flow and low light areas.

Like I said, maybe it didin't come as healthy as the others but visually they looked similar (health wise) when I got it home and for about the first week.

Ones that I did have success with are teal with purple center, green with blue center, and red with green center.

I've never had that problem Shao-lin.... I would trust your judgement though. I've only had 3 diff color morphs total though. I have noticed some (green morphs) don't seem to tolerate Nitrates or Hermits stealing food though. My green centers lost 6 polyps to the hermits. They would always steal food, sometimes they got a bit of flesh w/ it, seemed to kill the polyp. Another solid pale green one didn't seem to fare too well when I had a nitrate spike. The whole time my solid reds are flourishing. Go figure.

I just got about 28 heads of blasto wellsi. How should I go about feeding them? If i use cyclopeeze should i just shoot it at them? or w/ silversides... they seem to big for the blastos mouths?

Chop it up really really small, or squirt some CE in their general direction. Another good way if the frag is small enough, cut the bottom off a plastic coke bottle, put the bottle over em, and squirt it in the top.

shao-lin nano

It helps to turn off all currents in your tank. I feed mine mysis when they're fully fluffed up with tentacles extended...their tentacles aren't as strong as acan or anemones but will grab on to the food and curl their body over it to bring to the center. Just fight off the starving hermits and snails so it has a chance to start "eating"...and feed fish first too so they'll leave it alone.

shao-lin nano

It helps to turn off all currents in your tank. I feed mine mysis when they're fully fluffed up with tentacles extended...their tentacles aren't as strong as acan or anemones but will grab on to the food and curl their body over it to bring to the center. Just fight off the starving hermits and snails so it has a chance to start "eating"...and feed fish first too so they'll leave it alone.

Thanks guys. right after i posted i fed my BTA, so i decided to feed the blastos some krille... well it worked majic. i turned off every current making piece of equip in the tank and they just muched away ahaha I am stoked!

wow thank you everone for all of the color suggestions.

I do not know if I am ready to get some after RayW's post about his hermits killing one morph. I have two cleaners that act like starving children I'm afraid that the blastos will get harrassed too much. My Nassarius do not help either when I feed my corals. Just fed my candy canes tonight and man they they are almost like pests. I feed the starving children first and I do the pop bottle method. It still is pretty frustrating.

We'll see I'm going to my coral shop this weekend to price some.

Archived