Cultivated Reef

What are these things?

floppyfish

Their growning on my PH. They look like some sort of filter feeds or fan worm type animal. You can see the small fan sticking out of one of them.

Any ideas? Are they good or bad and should I clean them off?

Hey floppy, I had those same things on my ph when they were in my 65. I think it is some type of egg, but not sure. I am interested in what the answer is...great ID question!

They filter feed I believe. They seem neutral to me. Perhaps I can use them as a weapon against my evil mother in law. Then they would be GOOD! Try a google search. Sould be just fine. I have a lot of them in dark areas of my tank especially my power filter box.

Sorta hard to tell from the pic. But if you're talking about the white squiggly line on the patch of purple, probably a fanworm. They filter-feed, and are nice additions to your reef environment - although not necessarily on your powerhead. He's gonna be ticked the next time you have to take out the PH for a cleaning! (unless you can remove the exhaust pipe & leave it in the water)

Well, I know there not turnicates because I have them growing on my LR. These are something totally different and look like a sponge, with a fan worm type filter sticking out at the one end. I touched them before and they pull their fan in. But, their not in a hard tube like a fan worm.

I guess I'll take a pic later with the flash on.

i have a ton of them on my 50. they are nuetral IMO. and no they arent sponges. they have a fan or tenticles or something. too small to really tell if they are a type of anemone. dont worry bout um

actually they are a tunicate! i posted a thread about them on RC like almost 2yrs ago on RC when i had my first nano tank. freaked me out they were all over the sump in the pumps ect. there totally harmless and are a nice addition as a filter.

my god there pods its the invasion of the body snatchers!

Archived