Innovative Marine Aquariums

how many fish in a 20 gallon tank

dreadfish

that depends how big the fish are... and what kind

normally about 4 fish, but it may possibly be less if you decide on a bigger fish.

No Tangs =D

I say 4 at the most. Pair of Clowns, Sixline Wrasse and maybe a yellow tang. J/K. No tang.

There are so many possibilities with a 20. There are alot of great fish that would look very cool in there. I think the very best are Clowns. But I love clowns so...

EW NO GRAMMA .. UGH .. see my avatar.. ya its there for a reason

That's weird. My Gramma has been an angel in my tank.

What ever you do Dreadfish, dont get a DAMNsel (damsel) Now those are Nazi fishes man. Mean little ba$tards.

i would say 4 is a little too much but you could to do it, i'm only have 1 clown, 1 sixline, and possibly one small goby... just start out slow and have fun :D

In my 20L I've got a clown and a gramma.

A suggestion would be clown gobies. They're great little fish and come in a variety of colors.

Edited by dweakl01

If you want to keep peaceful fish let me recomend the Bernacle Blenny. Oh man what a trip they are. Real cool fish. I want one of those for my 20 as soon as I get that Damsel out.

• Like 1

I have read that angels get to big to keep in a 20 long and to have them be happy. In mine I think I am going to go with an Ocelaris clown, yasha haze (sp), either a cardinal fish some sort of fair wrasse a 6 line maybe or maybe a royal gramma, I also think I like firefish but I like the purple ones better. Deffinetly get a goby/shrimp pair though they are pretty cool.

my first damsel was when i started to cycle my tank (four years ago) he died about 3-months ago, now i cant make up my mind what to replace him with my clown is geting lonely.

• 13 years later...
  • 2 years later...
Reefmaster619

Margo

Ive seen 24 gallon tanks to close to 20 fish(i wouldn't unless experienced)  . they were of course all small gobies and small fish in general however they had a good amount of space and the owner preformed 50 percent water changes weekly. I was shocked but it seemed to work. But in order to keep large numbers of fish you must understand the reef and know what the benefits and negatives are of having so much livestock. But im sure you are fine with that amount of fish even more depending on how mature your tank is .

• 1 month later...