Top Shelf Aquatics

Domino damsel harassing my star polyps

duleypm

Hello,

I bought some green star polyps 3 weeks ago, they stayed open for a week then closed completely. I couldn't figure out why, I tried different locations, and kept an eye on the hermits and coral banded shrimp, but they never touched them. Then today I notice some polyps are starting to come out, then out of the blue the damsel just lays into it and it contracts. Best thing to do is remove the damsel I suppose. Is that typical of a damsel? I was thinking of getting a clownfish for the frogspawn anyway.

thanks

are they attacking it when it's closed or only when they bigin to sprout?

could be a nesting thing. the domino may be trying to host with the gsp.

there was another instance of damsel attacking gsp's but that was because the gsp's were located high. the damsel was in 'farming' mode. it was looking to pick clean the 'reef crest' to purposely grow algae for it to farm.

The damsel attacked it when it was just sprouting, when it started to wave in the current but not fully extended. The large stalks don't get to fully extend but smaller polyps in between stay open for awhile. the polyps are on the bottom of the tank in a crack between two rocks. The damsel is constantly hunting for food, chasing anything that moves. I consider it fed good, spruilla flakes, brine shrimp, left over shrimp pellets from the hermits. I set up a 5g and will attempt to catch him tonight to see if he is really the problem. Or should I try to locate the gsp on the sand away from the LR for awhile?

Thanks

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, in case someone else has this problem. After ripping apart the tank to catch the trouble maker and putting him in another tank, the gsp are doing great. They stay open all day and are spreading well, about 1/2" in the last few weeks.

Archived