Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

10gal Split

Mr. Fosi

neanderthalman

I've never worked with PCs besides the crappy little coralife screw in bulbs. For the negligible price difference, I went MH for my new tank.

No screw-ins, except the POS light over my refugium (which isn't coralife). Only the bulbs I have are coralife, the ballasts are from ebay.

Dern. I'd live to put an MH over the rollover tank, but there is no way I can cough up the $$ right now.

Anyone else out there know about PCs or have any thoughts on the powerplant for this 10g?

neanderthalman

I guess we can't get the cheap PC fixtures up here, but it would have cost me just as much to get something like a 96W powerquad as it did to get a 70W HQI retrofit kit. I went with the 150W HQI for twenty bucks more.

What kinds of prices are you able to get on PC equipment Vs. MH?

Pretty much whatever I can find online.

I found a place offering 'refurbished' PC fixtures for really cheap; like $55 for a 96w coralife fixture and bulbs.

I know coralife isn't well liked around these parts, but they are inexpensive and inexpensive is the only thing I can afford right now.

More than the lighting, I'm concerned about what I am going to use to power this tank-beast.

neanderthalman

I'm pretty sure styrofoam is reef safe. Try placing the pump on styrofoam to dampen the vibration.

I was able to get a 70W MH retrofit kit for $100 CAD, or 150W for $120, that's like $80-90 USD for the 70W at the current rates, and our equipment up here is overpriced. Can you not find something similar down there?

I've never had trouble with refurbished equipment - I buy it all the time.

Well... just a quick look around and I found a MH ballast/reflector retro kit for $40 and a 10000K lamp for $65, so thats $105 before shipping. I guess that isn't TOO bad...

Styrofoam huh? I guess I could try that... Do you think I would have to worry about heat dissapation?

neanderthalman

I dont' think you'll have to worry about heat dissipation in a submerged pump, the water should take pretty good care of that. The styrofoam should have little/no effect.

It's always worth spending a little bit more on the lighting - for twenty bucks I went from a 70W to 150W. Big difference in light, little difference in cost.

Mr. Fosi,

Have you checked out any used equipment from the classified forum? Just check the seller's reputation before you send them any money. I've saved a bunch of money buying that way.

I've popped on it a couple times. If I spend too much time there, I'll end up spending $$ that I can't afford.

For that reason, I don't really want to frequent the classifieds until I have a little more $$ to spend.

When I get a little cash together, I'll check it out more often.

Until then, I'm trying to get a few pointers and do a little research about what would be a good, cheap way to light the display.

• 8 months later...

Sorry for diggin' up a dead thread, or maybe not... What ever happened to this tank? I liked the way it started out. Esp. the blue plumbing.

I still have it, but haven't stocked it. :blush:

My wife wanted me to leave it in Pennsylvania when we moved, but I refused.

It is funny that you dug this thread up at this time because just last week I started thinking seriously about finally stocking it up.

I don't have room at home for another tank (10g FW planted, 5.5g fish/invert, 2.5g softies/invert), so I am thinking about bringing it into my lab at school and running it on my desk. Before I do that, I have to talk to my advisor since it is his lab, but I doubt he'll care.

We have no $$ right now, so I would probably just pick up some LR and let it stabilize for a while.

Well, I schelpped the tank into school today along with one of my ghetto-rigged 2x15W normal output fluorescent setups.

Right now it is sitting empty on my desk.

I still haven't decided what I am going to put in it, but I think I will bring some sand and some salt to school sometime this week and get it running. Maybe I'll just pick up a couple pieces of LR from an LFS and drop them in there...

It won't look all that great with the "daylight" lamps that are in the fixture, but I don't have the equipment to rig up anything that would include 10000K or actinics right now. This is going to be an interesting tank project... :rolleyes::D

Hey dude, great looking tank so far. Good luck on your stocking! Great job on the DIY and siliconing of the tank and baffles. I had similar problems with mine tank but luckly the acrylic baffles that I used just bowed but did not come loose like yours. Perhaps the reason it came loose was that the baffles was not snugly fitted into the tank.

Archived