Cultivated Reef

2003 pic of 15g tank

denkigroove

Ok, it's been a while since my last updated pic of my 15g nano tank. The system is running smoother than ever, and the corals are absolutely beautiful. I'm gonna try to update my page with more pics at the end of the week.

Currently I'm working on a couple of 30g DIY projects for some friends of mine. I have all new DIY schematics and sump setups for them which I will post also later.

I've remodeled my 15g canopy once again and added some more moldings to the stand to give the tank a more elegant look. Hope you guys check it out later, thanks.

how is your tank for noise? is that overflow loud? i am in the planning of setting up a 20 and was thinking about following your plumbing. thanks in advance.

I'm running a 175W MH Aqualine 10k bulb w/ 55w PC actinics.

As for the overflow, it started out noisy, but I stuffed some bioballs down the back of the overflow to minimize the waterfall noise which brought it down very significantly. After a few weeks of running and breaking-in the tank, the overflow ran very quietly, only noise from tank now is the humming from the PFO ballast :).

If you want to ensure a quiet overflow, be sure to use a good sized bulkhead (1"-1.25") and make sure its big enough to handle the flow of the return pump, b/c anything bigger would produce a noisy draining sound, regards.

Here's a pic of my new canopy i rigged up. Figured the old one needed a face lift. Hopefully I will get the DIY page on my site up soon for schematics for this one.

The canopy is finished although I haven't finished the makeover on the stand which I will add some crown molding where the tank sits (where bottom black strip of tank shows :( ) to hide the black strip and match up with the canopy's top. Regards.

Yea, I made the hood out of 5/8" MDF wood at Home Depot (HD). Basically drew up measurements and brought to HD to cut wood. Got some molding and lil bit of spit and glue. I flec stoned it to give it that granite look, i really like the flec b/c it covers alot of the imperfections on wood and gives it a great look. Total cost was around $45 for whole project.

Sloreefer,

You are absolutely correct. The canopy measures 14" high. Well I am running 175w Metal Halide + 55w PC actinic = 230watts of lighting for a 15g tank in such a small area would run very hot.

It is recommended to have MH lighting to be between 10+ inches from the water surface. So i figured I'd go 14" with enough space for the Retro lighting and for me to get into the tank without having to take off the hood....b/c I built it to slide thru the front instead of sitting it on top of tank. Gives the tank a clean flush look hiding the black borders.

The larger area would allow for heat to dissipate out of the ventilation areas I made on the canopy keeping the tank cooler. Some people dislike the larger canopy look, but b/c of the small size, I have no choice. Overall , I like how the canopy turned out with the moldings and flec stone look, even has a push latch door giving it a nice touch.

Regards.

• 5 months later...
denkigroove

I used a miter saw to cut the moldings I bought from Home Depot. Puddy the edges and cracks . Sanded it down and flec stoned it. If you want to see more pics or how i made it, you can view the DIY sections on my website:

Here is an updated full view of tank in May 2003http://www.nano-reef.com/denkigroove

denkigroove

Here is pic of my two of my fish. Had them since day one. Funny how they 'haven't grown . Reminds you of a certain movie? hehe

Lunchbucket

very very nice man....always been a great tank

do you have a stockman stand pipe in teh overflow??? that woudl quiet it down w/ out the bioballs

i am NOT going to start on the tang....a NO NO IMO.

great job

Lunchbucket

denkigroove

Your comments are always appreciated Lunchbucket. As for the overflow, I've long taken out the bioballs, I learned that after a little slime builds up in it, it quiets down. Only thing that is even close to noisy on the tank is the MH ballast humming :(

As for the tang, he has been in the tank since January but he hasn't grown since, which is great!. Maybe b/c size of tank. He's very happy swimming and eating food the tank produces. I feed my fish once a week but they seem to be fat all the time...hehe

Tank is running out of room, time to dump it. Well I'm bout to catch that upgrade bug fever and get a 30g Oceanic cube. Another DIY project!!!! ;)

My lfs has one of those Oceanic 30g cubes for sale. I'd LOVE to get it but I'd have to add maybe like a 175w or 250w halide along with my current 150w de to light it and I dont really have the $$. Really cool looking tanks though.

Again nice tank denkigroove

denkigroove

I don't know exactly what the names of the moldings are so you gonna need to take a stroll down the crown moldings section of Home Depot (or Lowe's). The design depends on your own liking. I think they offer DIY how-to brochures on how to put it together. It's sold by the foot so you just measure the amount you need.

But if you gonna do it right, MAKE SURE YOU GET A MITER SAW! Boy does this save alot of work! Hope this helps.

Archived