ReefCleaners.org

Caulerpa Needs

SD619

I've been thinking about starting a small refugium for my 5 gallon.  I'd like to know what kind of caulerpa you would recomend to use.

What kind of lighting is needed to keep the caulerpa alive?

Do I need a DSB?

What else do I need to know?

Here's something for you. I am sure that 90% of those reading this are acutely aware of this but many forms of caulerpa are BANNED from the trade. Why? Irresponsible hobbists would flush/otherwise dispose of the overgrowth from their tanks. This all too easy to grow algae has colonized ecosystems that it was not native to originally. What's more, it has done so with such success that some waterways are no longer navigable! Remember this when you have a damsel or some fish that has outgrown its home. You aren't doing mother nature a favor by introducing a species to another eccosystem by setting your pet free. The following have been marked as banned for the trade: Caulerpa prolifera, mexicana, and I believe the feather and grape varieties as well. Hard to grow green varieties such as halimed. and the red varieties (which succumb at colder temperatures)are still sold. If you can still get some take advantage now (and use it responsibly).

second2n0ne

Your not going to find Caulerpa in San Diego.  Remember the Batiquitos Lagoon incident?  Someone did just as Pulpsmack described...dumped their SW tank into the lagoon and the macroalgae took over the lagoon.  They have spent million$ trying to eradicate the stuff.  It is a $2500 fine for the LFS if caught selling the stuff.  I have seen the "banned" stuff for sale on eBay but if you use it, dispose of it PROPERLY.  Use the same lighting guidelines as your nano.  You can usually even get by with less.  If you are using the refugium to grow food for your filter feeders, use a mixture of DSB, macro algae and LR.  Do not place the refugium below the tank.  The PH or pump used for the return will kill the coepods, etc.  Instead, use a gravity return like those found on the CPR hang on refugiums (refugium water level must be slightly higher than the tank water line) .  If you are setting up the refugium to "polish" your water, set it up with LS and macroalgae and the placement is not important.  

I heard about that ban too. I'm not sure if that applies only to California, or to the rest of the country too. But looking at Inland Aquatics website, you can order mexicana, taxifolia, prolifera, racemosa, etc. I have had great luck with grape caulerpa (Caulerpa racemosa). It grows very quickly, but it is also a little more prone to going sexual. I haven't had any problems with that as long as I prune it back every week or two, though.

As for lighting, I have heard that low kelvin lighting is actually better at growing algae. Something in the 3-4000 range is supposedly ideal. It's not necessary, just don't bother spending extra on high kelvin bulbs. They're wasted on algae. And I would try to put as much light as is practical and will fit on your refugium. A low light refugium will grow algae, but you want it to be as productive as possible so that it keeps your water clean.

Oh, and I wouldn't use a deep sand bed. It will probably be too small to do much good. Using some rock rubble in it will give pods a good place to live if you want more of those.

-Chris

Thanks people.  These are very helpful comments and suggestions.  I do recall hearing about the ban of caulerpa, but a friend of mine has a few red and grape varieties that he was willing to give me a few cutting of just to get my refugium started.

I'm glad Jefe responded about the low kelvin lamps.  I would have wasted my money on better lighting.

Thanks again.

printerdown01

I don't BELIEVE that the ban applies to all forms of caulerpa... There is major concerns about on form that is toxic to fish (and thus grows unchecked). One way to ensure you save mother nature is just to boil the stuff after you trim.

Again, the forms that are NOT banned are difficult to grow greens such as Halimeda and the red varieties. The reds are still sold because the colder temperatures tend to control/kill them. I know for sure that Mexicana and Prolifera ARE banned, and I'd put some heavy money down that grape and feather are as well. Printerdown has a good suggestion, boil it. I personally am experimenting with it by drying it and feeding it as flake to the tank.

• 1 month later...

Can't you just put it in your trash can?  I live in Austin Texas and there is no way that anything in a trash can in the middle of Texas will end up in salt water.

• 1 month later...

d*mn I think pulp is getting close to right on this one, It took me 2 weeks to find some caulpera... And fortunatly for me, I found a place that got me some C. prolifera, and C. racemosa sp.? the grape.. The prolifera is a pretty plant, but the grape looks more like a weed, im hoping it will root in soon and grow so I can trim it alittle neater...  Id grab this stuff while you can.

Here is some info about the ban in California.

http://swr.nmfs.noaa.gov/hcd/CAULERPA.htm

Here is the text from bill AB 1334 that lists banned species;

(a) No person shall sell, possess, import, transport,

transfer, release alive in the state, or give away without

consideration the salt water algae of the Caulerpa species:taxifolia, cupressoides, mexicana, sertulariodes, floridana,ashmeadii, racemosa, verticillata, and scapelliformis.

I live in Cal. and I plan to set up a refugium, I hope I will be able to get caulerpa from fellow hobbists. I think the bill past is like closing the barn door after the horse gets out.

(Edited by lizbeth at 5:27 pm on May 25, 2002)

I don't know how far the ban on Caulerpa extends, but I do now that you can get a variety of it at just about any LFS here in Atlanta.

Archived