Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

plant help

cjm033

i was just corious what these were i have quite a few of them and they have seemed to "reproduce" and multiply they are attached to my lr,Chris

Hard to tell, but it looks like sargassum. It is a very nice looking macro. If I remember it is a type of kelp... It gets very thick while your tank matures then begins to fade away IME.

I have to trim that stuff in my tanks it grows like weeds, there are several 3-6 inches bushes in the 20. I've transplanted some to the 5.5. I'm happy it hasn't died off like I was told it would. It's actually quite attractive.

Hello,

Sargassum hystrix http://www.globaldialog.com/~jrice/algae_p...e/sargassum.htm

Mine grew about 6inches to the top of the water then started to spread out and block light. I started to break them off at the rock, and put them into my hob filter. They don't seem to grow back very fast once you do that. I had some white dead rock and I stuck some in the holes, now they are rooted and can't be pulled out. IMO they are good until they start blocking light. The link says that they release toxic chemicals if there are many large ones.

later

paul

Archived