Coral Vue Hydros

Converting Salt to Fresh tank

Thgunder

Ok I am done with Saltwater, all of the fish have died despite my attempts to keep them.

I have a 33 gallon Saltwater setup with crushed coral and dead coral. I would drain all the water, flush it out, what I want to know is it ok to keep the crushed coral and dead coral as a substrate for the freshwater?

Thanks

PS. I have a 10 gallon nano that I would transfer my one remainig fish and a few hermits.

Lacrosseboss18

Your whole setup is going to have to change. Your going to need a different light, gravel, rocks everything. To change to freshwater is a lot cheaper then a quarter the cost of salt. The weekly costs and everything are much less. I have a 26 gallon bow front fresh water. All you need is a filter. I have a penguin 170 on it now. its loud but does the trick. The heater should be ok just a good washing would do. Then go to like petco or pet land discounts and buy a hood. It should be like 20 and they come with a light. You can upgrade the lighting if you want, like for plant life and stuff. That’s what I did. Then just replace the carbon cartridge in it every so often.

To change it over it should cost you 70 or even less.

Good luck with the fresh water.

you can use the crushed coral for an african cichlid tank, dont use it for south americans, like oscars, they live in a softer, more acidic water. you can use all the same equipment with except of a skimmer, if you have one. just make sure you clean the equpiment thoughly and dont use the actinic light either

Archived