Pod Your Reef

Is This Clownfish Disease?

NaughtyCashew

NaughtyCashew

Hope somebody can help me.

There are small white spots that have appeared on my baby clown. They were present right after I purchased him and got him home. I promptly did a freshwater dip for ten minutes before introducing him into my aquarium (I do not have a QT tank).

The white spots have become steadily worse, although the clown doesn't seem to mind them. They are starting to get somewhat fuzzy like a fungus, but not really fuzzy like most fungi I have seen.

He eats well and seems happy. I am wondering if this is something I should try treating with Formalin if the actual cause of the spots is Brooklynellosis.

I attached a picture for reference:

clown2_1_19_06.jpg

sounds like ich. Good thing you have a QT. You can try the freshwater dips, IMO they stress the fish more than they do good. You can try some copper treatment in your QT. If not, you could try adding garlic to the fishes food or add a cleaner shrimp to the tank. Good luck

FW dips are very stressful... I've noticed clowns can handle the treatment better than most fish but just remember they're very stressful. If he's eating well that's a good sign, make sure you continue feeding him a normal amount of high quality food. If you desire, I've heard garlic-enriched supplements can do a world of good. My tomato clowns once developed SW ich... They recovered quickly with no medication, I did however give one of them (worse off) a FW dip and it seemed to have sped up the recovery significantly and luckily he took the treatment well. However it was only about a 2 minute dip. Remember to keep up on his food... and good luck.

FW dips are very stressful... I've noticed clowns can handle the treatment better than most fish but just remember they're very stressful. If he's eating good that's a good sign, make sure you continue feeding him a normal amount of high quality food. My clowns once developed sw ich... They recovered quickly with no medication, I did however give one of them (worse off) a FW dip and it seemed to have sped up the recovery significantly and luckly he took the treatment well. However it was only about a 2 minute dip.

agreed...only 2 minutes no longer...i did an 10 minute...The fish took lots of stress..and took 3 days to get its breath back to normal (breathing really hard)!

youre fish has a very common viral infection Lymphosystis or "Lymph".

there is no treatment and it will not hurt the fish.

it will eventually go into remission and you will more than likely not have to deal with it again.

just feed the fish well so it can build its immune system and fight it. thats all you can do for a viral infection.

NaughtyCashew

Thanks for the ID!

I was about to do the formalin bath thing because I suspected Brooklynellosis. That probably would have stressed him out and lowered his immune system. He seems totally happy (despite the ugly white crap on his body). I will let you know the progress.

Thanks again!

Brook usually looks a lot like crypt (ich). a couliflower looking white spotting on a fin margin, exp the pectoral fins or gill operculum is usually always Lymph.

a lot of tank reared clowns are breaking down with it after being shipped into stores. its getting more and more common. check the disease boards every few weeks and you'll notice a lot of problems with it.

GL

• 2 weeks later...

Archived