SaltCritters.com

Breaking (live)rocks

Spudds

I have a peice of liverock that is a bit too big for my tank. I would preferably like to take a screwdriver or something and chisle it to a more appropriate size and shape. Has anyone tried this? Is it basically just going to crumble or look unnatural? If anyone has any tips I'd greatly appreciate it!

Spudds.

There really is know way to know before you try. Usually a wider chisel will result in less crumble...but crumble is great for the sump or frags. Good luck, be brave, and pound away! :)

Peace, Bryan

I just take a hammer and swing. :) Last time I tried a screwdriver, it got feaking stuck in the rock and was more of a PITA than what it was worth. How it breaks is gonig to depend on how hard and dense your LR is.

Because you are breaking it, it won't look unnatural once it gets some age though. That bright white you get from the broken edge doesn't stay white long.

Dont use a screw driver!!!!

the are not made to do that kind of a job, use a big harded steel Chisle, or better yet, find some what has a saw zaw!!!!!

and go nuts with the sawzah! those things can cut through anything!

I've used a dremel to kind of cut some guides throught the rock, and then use hammer and chisel, it usually will break along the guides you drilled with the dremel. Its not perfect, but it gives you a little more control than just swinging away.

But if you perfer to swing away.... does anyone know if coraline algae will grow over duct tape??

Good luck

;)

I sure hope so, or else that reef tank I filled with duct tape is never going to take off.

Anyhow, think tools that are available to a poor grad student!

Spudds.

Dramel? Carbide drill bits? I have dirty underwear, 100 empty cans of Dr. Pepper and an alarm clock. The smashing approach I like, I have access to both gravity AND a hard ground!

In actuality I have a few bucks if I need to spend them and a small tool kit with wrenches, an awl, a few screwdrivers...

Spudds.

Archived