Cultivated Reef

Refugium Design! go or not?

xofinnocent

Well here's 2 designs i have for my that on the back of my tank:

1: (top illistration) I think this one offers more caryover of live goodies like pods ect. but im not sure if there will be enough surface tention to break up the scum?

or

2: (bottom illistration) This seems like it would eliminate surface scum, but offer little in the ways of pod caryover to the main tank?

Tell me what you think would work best- of if you got a seperate idea tell me please

also as you see there are 2 pumps- the pump going into the fuge will be at a higher flow then the pump leaving the fuge- whats not illistrated is theres and overflow on the wall panel to drain the exess into the main tank. heres a pict of the tank it self

See what happens when I stay up late and try to post intelligently... I see lime wedges on a line drawing I can't make heads or tails out of.

Dude, your a DIY'er after my own heart but yer breakin' the bank on this one.... don't get me wrong, it's wonderful, all the fiddlin' and engineering but um why? I mean pod carryover? For what? You have a display area now that two mushrooms is going to fill.

I do need sleep so won't go on anymore... I don't want you to think I'm picking on you... nothing farther from the truth... I'm just having a hard time getting this one... that compartment in the far rear left of your tank photo... where does it get water from or pump it to? No wait... I see where it can get water but where does it put the water then... (hmmm, stop and post, stop and delete post?... No, I'll post this, I want to "get it" ) Um, xo... more clarification please. ;)

he is right what such a big fuge for such a small space that would make a rad sump ut not a tank also your going to see all the gunk back in the fuge im gonna go whith glazer on this one this bro knows what hes doin

cam barr

Sorry about the pict- must only make sence to me - and i cant realy tell. lol. I know what you guys are saying, and really the only reason im doing it it cause it was somethign i could do within my dorm room while i waited a few days for classes to start again. Also the front tank compasity is 1.25 gallons and while not a normal size it is just that, an experiment on my part. To see if i could make it work. As far as seeing th back it will be covered with some smoked black glass from my stained glass. oh wells

bro we dident mean to burst your bubble or even insult you we were just trying to tell you what we thought it dosent really seem logical for one gall or water if u had a 10 gal space whith a 5 gal sump that would be more logical ya know what were tryin to say

cam barr

Okay, got some sleep and I think I have a better grasp on what you got going on there... um maybe? hehe

Can you not just do away with the overflow cutout in the middle of the back wall.... just have the overflow on the right side there into your "trickle/drip plate" section... have the water then flow through your refugium area and be pumped out by a powerhead placed in the chamber in left rear corner.... I think that is much like you have it in your bottom diagram. Otherwise it looks to me like you have two overflows competeing against each other. Like your "wet/dry" area and your refugium area are completely seperate compartments but yet hooked together.... gawd, don't know if that's making sense or not. Basically I'm trying to eliminate one of the pumps.

And as cam said.... dood not trying to bust your huevo's at all! I was just trying to figure your setup out and since I couldn't I asked why do it? Know what I mean? Finish this thing up and set it in motion.... I want pics! ;)

Archived