Coral Vue Hydros

New 45G setup Diary

Kassun

After selling our 29g 6 months ago when we bought our house, we decided to get back into the hobby. I found a free 45g tank that leaked. Brought it home and took out all the silicon and re-did the entire tank. Filled her up for a leak test 48hrs later and all was good to go after 5 days of observing.

Instead of going out and buying a new CPR Aquafuge, I decied to make my own from scratch, total DIY cost was around 40.00. The next plan is to add in a closed loop system with a Squid for water movement and current.

----Tank specs so far----

45g tank

DIY Stand and Hood

1 x 96w PC 50/50

1 x 35w PC Antic

2 x 100w DIY curly suntight bulbs (in hood)

1 x 100w DIY flood fuge light

6g Custom HOB fuge (3 x mangroves and cheato)

18lbs of Fuji LR

10lbs of Lace rock

2 blue hermits

2 false percs

1 neon dottyback

-Kassun

post-572-1137891242_thumb.jpg

post-572-1137891256_thumb.jpg

post-572-1137891274_thumb.jpg

post-572-1137891319_thumb.jpg

so i like the idea of the homemade power center. one question though... is it a good idea to have that gfi hooked up to shut off EVERYTHING?

seems like it would be better to have individual gfi's for each piece of equipment, no?

edit: oh i see you did the older verson and havent done the one with the GFI included... can you check out his new diagram and maybe list which is different for yours?

I used (GT010706_1301_76) picture to wire up the power center. I have the center hooked up to a surge then to my wall outlet. Each switch turns on and off the outlet below it. I have timers and will be installing them tomorrow. I need to pick up a few spliters.

-kassun

just got back from home depot, spent like 20 bucks.

eventually im gonna get those timers that you hard wire in, but theyre gonna have to wait

I used (GT010706_1301_76) picture to wire up the power center. I have the center hooked up to a surge then to my wall outlet. Each switch turns on and off the outlet below it. I have timers and will be installing them tomorrow. I need to pick up a few spliters.

-kassun

GFK: You could build it with a simple screwdriver, just pick up some smaller screws. I used 1/2" screws to secure the outlets and switches. The one thing you will find fun about this DIY is the spacing of the outlets so the face plates bud up against one another. I messed up and had to turn over the 1 x 2's and start over :) , but got it on my second try. One thing you will want to do is use a chisle to notch out where the wires cross over the wood, so when you mount the back on it is flush and not squishing the wires. Let me know how your build goes. :)

-kassun

Small update. I just ordered a DIY 250 Hallide setup (ballast, 65k bulb and mounting hardware) from marine depot. Good deal for 134.00 shipped. I went to Home Depot and picked up a small 70 amp circuit braker box for 10.00 to mount the ballast in and a piece of ducting that I will use as a reflector for the bulb.

I decided to make a simple spray bar for the time being. I will eventually buy a SQUID and a Mag pump for a closed loop system.

I added a new take mate. Great sand sifter.

-Kassun

post-572-1138680508_thumb.jpg

post-572-1138680530_thumb.jpg

post-572-1138680543_thumb.jpg

Just recieved my Marine depot order. 250w ballast, mongul, 65k iwaski. I also ordered two 3/4" bulkheads to fix the leaky intake and out take on my DIY fuge. The stripe down the middle is anoying so I will eventually get an acrylic brace. I'm picking up a nice size colt coral for a local reefer tonight.

-Kassun

post-572-1138838829_thumb.jpg

post-572-1138838842_thumb.jpg

Archived