ReefCleaners.org

PH dropping

RJ

My Koran Angel is twitching, do I need to raise my ph and if so.. any recommendation on best method or product.

I am new to this, I have a 20 gal, with three small fish, about 6-8 wks old, plenty of live rock and crushed coral, would love to change to sand, sounds hard though.

reefguru21

A pH boost sure wouldn't hurt things. If you've got 7.8pH

that alittle low but not extremly dangerous.  I would do anentire parameter check  ammonia/ nitrates/nitrites the whole nine yard to see if any thing else is playing a role.  Then get some marine pH buffer at your LFS and add an amount that that will keep the pH between 8.1-8.4  that should help the problem.

good luck.

i agree with jay.  kent probuffer dkh (i like the liquid form).  ph needs to be a little higher.  alk should be between 8-14 dkh.  the koran angel could be twitching for alot of reasons.  6-8 weeks is too soon for one imo.  your tank might be still cycling, or have recycled when you added the fish.  i'd check all parameters as suggested and try to figure out where you are at with the cycle.  also, go ahead and make up some water for a water change and aerate it for a day if you can.  just in case.  make sure you test the water before you change it and make sure you match the conditions to the current tank water.  temp, ph, and salinity.  good luck and be careful not to stress the koran angel.   you may have to have a bigger tank for it one day anyway so just make sure next time you use the sand.  the cc can get dirty, and add to the nitrates.  especially in a nano.  imo

Archived