SaltCritters.com

My First Pico - 10 Minutes Old

The Keeper

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

got any pics? i'd love to see it, get some ideas. What are you using for lighting?

cool.. someo0ne else witha 1g. Hex ... i got mine up too

Keeper,

I want to thank you for starting this post. I can honestly say that at first I thought you were doomed. However, I was mistaken. I think your tank looks great. You should be proud. I just started a 2.5gal about 7 days ago and it is nice to hear a beginner's sucess story. I have a few questions for you.

Are you still using the 10W coralife?

How did your heating issues work out?

What are you currently using in your HOB filter?

Did you ever get that neon goby?

Thanks again

Thanks for the compliments.

I did commit the typical n00b error of jumping into things too fast. But I've always been good at keeping all sorts of different animals, plus I pick up things really quick.

To answer your questions: Yes, I'm still using the 10watt Coralife Bulb, it lights up the tank fairly decently. I have no problems with the heating, once I got my heater, its kept the tanks temp perfectly stable 79.1-80.3 degrees. My house is ice cold.. Even during the Miami summer its around 68-72 degrees...I'm using the AC20 HOB, its got a tiny rock, some sand, a bag of purigen, and it houses the heater.

After the cycle ended, I have never again been able to measure any amount of amm, nitrate, nitrite. I havent tested Calc/Alk, Phospates, etc but I will very soon, I dosed once with B-Ionic 2 Part Calc/Alk buffer system. I never got the goby, I think the footprint of the tank is too small. The rock I have takes too much space. It would be cruel.

I'm actually going to be movin this tank into a bigger setup very soon. I got a 5.5 Gallon and split its 16" length (10"/6") to make a small fuge and overflow area with a return pump and the false wall is drilled. I'm going to run 14" 2*24watt PCs. Then I will be getting the Goby. Not sure what kind yet. I may splurge and get what I really want which is a blue-dotted Jawfish.

Archived