Pod Your Reef

I'm having a bubble algae/red hair algae problem.

JIM27

I know it will get rid of the bubble algae but will it get rid of the red hair algae? What size fuge for a 10g reef? What kind of macro is best?

hey jim(swf?)

i think it will rid you of the nuisance algae.  you might could get away with some in your filter even, or behind the live rock.  i like the kind with the bubble leaves (grape caulerpa?), but any will do.  provided you have enough.   you could even have a sump type where you left the lights on and just grew all the red hair and whatever in there, and keep it out the main tank.  it's gonna grow where it has the most lighting.  jmo hth

second2n0ne

What is the age of your tank?  If it is cycling, a refugium will not make a differnce.  If it is an established tank, adding a refugium may make it cycle again.  Turn your lights off for 3 days, reduce feeding, and make sure your make up and top off water is RO/DI...these steps will help in the short run while giving you some time to establish a refugium.

The tanks been running since feb but everything in it(including the water) came from my old 55 gallon so it was cycled from the start.

jim, i added a ref. to my 10g and tried what someone suggested to you, letting all the bad algae grow in the refugium to keep it out of the main aquarium.  this didn't work all that well for me, so i wouldn't recommend it.   i was able to get a lot of growth in the refugium, but micro algae is hairy, messy, and smelly, and it seemed to me aided somewhat in seeding the main tank with  bad algae of various forms.  anyway, i removed  the micro algae in the ref and put some red leafy macro algae of some type in there (it was some stuff that came on a rock i had in the main tank).  the macro algae doesn't sink, it's pretty, and it grew massively once i isolated it in the refugium.  the situation is slowly improving.  i would recommend using macro algae.. throw a few rocks and some macro in there (i have a dsb in mine also), and you should get some help out of that.  also it's a good place for your pods to breed and grow.

that is true flaunt, i forgot about that.  some nuisance algae could spore and spread to the main tank that way.  using the larger macros is the best way to go.  

edit:  something else i thought of, you might could just try running a skimmer for a little while if you have one.  might help.  i haven't found red hair algae to spread too badly.  i've seen the cyano red and it's pretty nasty.  my hermits ate all my red and it hasn't come back since.  it was all on my mushroom rock, and stayed there til it was eaten.  i got some bubble in my tank now, but i haven't noticed it spreading either.  

(Edited by byrself at 6:26 pm on May 25, 2002)

Archived