Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

prizm problem

Metznreef

on the prizm, there are 2 places to connect the airhose. which one are you supposed to connect it to for regular use? the one that has I or II above it?

Lunchbucket

left one is to start it.  it sucks all the air out of the intake

then when it sort of whines or makes a funny noise switch it to the right one which i believe is number II for use

that is how to start it in number I and use in number II

Lunchbucket

another problem, is there anyway to make the prizm quieter and reduce the amount of airbubbles it puts out?

Reduce flow to minimum until it sets in.

Mine produced bubbles at first, then I read the manuals and read on the net that you have to set it lowest flow first and then slowly turn up the flow once its setin and skimming.

You can reduce noise slightly by filling the empty chamber with water, it dampens the noise somewhat.

Overall, it is a noisy skimmer and you cant reduce the noise that much than what it already is.

Good that its working better.

You can start to increase the flow once it starts to skim.  

Leave it at a fairly low setting for quite a dry foam, less water is taken out that way.

Well, my two cents. :)

I noticed on my Prism, Valve one is nothing more than a closed valve. Hmm.. interesting I thought. So, it is just allow the air to come out of the intake valve.

Okay, so I said to myself... I have to put it on Valve one, and then switch it over to Valve 2 when it starts huh? Hmmm, seems pretty poor.

So, I don't know how poor of an idea this is, but I always leave my unit on Valve 2. (The normal operation valve.) When I need to prime the unit, I just pinch the hose with my fingers, let the water rise, and when it is chugging away, I let go of the hose, and away she goes.

Works for me... :)

I also noticed that the unit puts out a lot of bubbles when I first do a water change, and I have to turn the "amount of skimming" down, but as the week progresses, I am able to turn it up without additional bubbles being introduced to the tank. FYI... YMMV.

(Edited by SaltyDog at 11:30 pm on July 2, 2002)

Saltydog, that what I do as well, I dont bother changing over to the priming valve.  I just keep it in the normal II position and pinch the tubing.

And your right about what happens after some water changes...skimming stops sometimes and you must reduce flow until it resume to normal.  Not too much of a problem but there you go.

Archived