Coral Vue Hydros

Stupid Lfs

Nic

I went in and bought 14 pounds of Fiji LR. I said, and I quote "Is this Live Rock cured?" "Yes'sire it's all been cured."

I put it in my tank and hook up my new lighting system and look in several hours later and am shocked to see at least 13 Bristle Worms and 2 Sea Slugs. I go back and ask them what this is all about and they say the guy was a new employee and it really wasnt cured rock....... X) so now I feel like declaring war on the lfs and bombing their LR tanks. :*(

So I'm gonna try the panity hose trap that Val was telling me about :

they could have been cured and those are just hitchhikers from his tanks. otherwise that rock is pretty fresh to have sea slugs. imo you'd want either the freshest rock (straight from the ocean) or completely cured.

my guess is that they're hitchhikers as slugs aren't usually hardy enough to survive 'dry' shipping even if it's 'fresh'. live hitchhikers are good imo tho. just my $0.02

do you have any die-off right now or spikein the readings? it's a little early true but typical uncured rock should show some readings fairly quickly on a new tank.

Yes, in only a couple of days I've had a huge diatom outbreak, that is feeding on the die off from the rock. The ammonia has also spiked from what is was and the nitrites are beginning to show so I think it is cycling really fast since it's such fresh rock. In your opinion should I keep the Bristles or get rid of them?

diatoms are normal regardless of LR/LS ime. the ammonia spike is telling tho.

i'd keep the bristles and pick them out when you think they might be too big. :x otherwise they're very efficient janitors. it's when they run out of food and become predatory that you worry. i've never seen that occur in person tho but i do pick them out from time to time. (emulating natural checks and balances imo)

I havent had any troube with mone they stay in the rocks until the lights go out or I feed the fish. They do make really good cleaners as they eat and food that the fish misses and lands on the bottom.

But if they are orange then use great caution when moving rock for aquascaping as they could be fireworms. Ouch!!

Archived