SaltCritters.com

chemical warfare

gobies

Between corals, of course...

The clownfish is getting a bit too friendly with the hammer, so I need something a bit less misanthropic for the clown to play in. Suggestions include a Sarcophyton and a Lobophytum. So I look at those, and then see the Sinularia finger leathers at www.justphish.com. I'm thinking those Sinularias look a fair bit similar to some of the suggested Sarcophytons. I've already got a flower/cabbage leather, which I'm told is a Sinularia dura, in the tank. Now, I know if I get a Sarcophyton or Lobophyton, I'm gonna have chemical warfare in the tank. But if I used another Sinularia species, would I still have chemical warfare? Perhaps it wouldn't be as bad as the warfare between one of the -phytons and the Sinularia?

The plan is to get the 29g going, add the new coral and let it get settled, then add the clown, leaving the hammer in the existing tank a while. Hopefully the clown will go play in the new coral and I can move the hammer to the big tank without the clownfish diving into it right away.

i'd opt for the sarcophyton troche-whatever. hardier and longer tentacles/polyps than most lobos and sinularias. the lobos seem to shed more often ime and are 'touchier'. not much exp with the sinularias, sorry. one of my next corals tho. ;)

how about ricordia and other shrooms? then again you're hoping to reunite the hammer in there, right? ricordia imo then, some of them look alot like the carpets that are the clowns natural hosts.

someone just posted blue shrooms with their clowns. it's hard to predict what those clowns will take to tho.

as long as you keep up on water quality, the leather shouldnt be an issue. SOME sinularias will indeed be toxic. I err on the shy side for getting a toadstool or even a large ricordia for the clown.

If you can licate a flower anemone they will really like them too.

I have a clown that wil nest in Caulerpa Albifrondia, so they really are not that picky. You could also try a capnellia or Kenya /colt caldeillia tree. ;)

Archived