ReefCleaners.org

A few pics

Sahin

Well, I did some maintenance work on the tank as well as taking the T5 light off and hooking up the NO tubes again.

Heres a few pics:

First up is my bubble coral. Doing well, though hasnt grown much since I replaced the NO tubes with T5.

Two more feather dusters. These started to appear in the tank at about 3 months into the tanks age. There are 7 of these feather dusters. They are about 1-1.5inches. Someone told me that presence of large feather dusters indicates a healthy tank--in terms of microfoods available for critters. I dont feed these directly in any way. I suppose they eat the microfoods present in the water column.

One of the larger hermits in the tank.

This particular one has a small feather dust on one side. I think its rather cool

I added a total of 9 hermits in the tank when it was first setup. There are now only 5 left. I think the other died away due to competition for food and space. The same number has held for many months now.

Very nice Sahin, great pics as always... where's the whole tank shot though!? From what I can tell those T-5's didn't hurt ya too bad. ;)

Yeah, T5's are essentially PC's except that they straight tubes. Though they are more powerful than NO tubes, the "useful" light output IME isnt as good since they were designed for aquarium use, so in that respect NO's are better.

The corals are still alive, but growth rates on many corals just came to a standstill. My med sized maxima clam stopped growing, with little or no growth after the T5's were put on. So I know that the lack of growth across all the corals coincides with the installation of T5 lights.

Like I said, if I can find T5 tubes designed for aquarium use, I will put those on, in the meantime, the NO tubes are better still.

I will be putting up a whole tank pic shortly.

I think maybe you must have done something wrong. Did you acclimate the light to the corals, I am sure the pcs were much brighter than the NOs. Also, if you started with a certain mix of kelvins or spectrums then changed over pc with different kelvin and spectrums, ofcourse you will see a stunt in their growth.

Ofcourse, this is just MO.

Pics are, as usual, superb. I have suddenly noticed a few dusters popping up in my tank as well. Always had a few real small ones but suddenly, a few have grown to a noticable size. nice to know that it's a godd sign.

Man, if only I could take shots like yours.

I did aclimatise properly. The T5 lights were on for more than 4 months, so the corals were allowed plenty of time to adjust to the change in spectrum.

I think its simply due to inadequate spectrum for coral growth. After all these light tubes were made for industrial use, not aquarium use.

So you are saying that 50/50 or 10K CSL bulbs are not made for aquarium lighting. Ok, what about NO, they were originally made for shop lights not aquariums! But many years ago people used NO because that is all they had and light companies started making bulbs in different kelvins for the aquarium industry just like pc.

MacnReef - He's saying that a T5 light is a type of Power Compact flourescent bulb, but not the type that is used for aquariums. Not the same intensity of good parts of the spectrum. Not for aquarium application.

Or I could be smoking crack and it was actually the refrigerator that told me that's what Sahin meant.

MacnReef - He's saying that a T5 light is a type of Power Compact flourescent bulb, but not the type that is used for aquariums.

Ok, so if T5 light is a type of power compact, but not the type for aquariums, than what power compact is? I think I maybe confused as to what a T5 light is. I asked earlier if a T5 was the same as power compacts and someone replied, yes.

Sahin, those are absolutely the best close ups of reef inhabitants I have ever seen. They belong in a calender or coffee table book. Very nice.

think of T-5s more like VHO than PC. its a slimmer diameter single tube configuration of fluorescent lamp that runs at a higher wattage and light output is supposed to be greatly increased as well. NO and PC tubes obviously weren't originally designed for aquariums but bulbs emitting the proper spectrum were produced and we crafty fish-folk adapted them for our use and created a monster! now T-5s are being built but still haven't been adapted for aquarium use (read-built to our size and spectral demands). Consider shopping for your reef lights at menards-although they do have some decent 6500K bulbs from time-to-time you won't find actinics, and you prolly won't have much success with yer critters under just menard's lights. that's what sahin's dealing with now-or did deal with. soon enough some company will realize the market and they'll be everywhere. thanks to sahin for trying these out and as always keeping that tank looking beautiful! HTH!

tg

Archived