any suggestions for a clean up crew...

Iphantom

I have a 7 gallon aga bowfront

with 26 lbs of live rock

It is finaly all cycled all the levels are perfect

and I am starting to get some alge

I want to know what I should get for a clean up crew

I plan on geting a cleaner shrimp

but I wanted to know what else? how many? and how long to I wait to add them?

thank you

-Matt

Wait for the tank to cycle . They say to use like no more than 2 per gallon of small hermitts and 1 per 5 gallon with a turbo snail. 2 per 1 gallon with astrea snails. I would use 6 or so hermitts and make sure they do not eat coraline algae before you buy them. I caught a couple of mine eating it and it realy miffed me off. They were redlegged but not scarletts. Use the blue legged kind they seem to eat hair algae specificaly. I also would not use turbo snails as they knock everything over in the tank. I am using 2 astreas in my 5.5g and 3 hermitts. they realy do a heck of a job.

2 per one galon astrea snails? thats 14 snails! thats alot plus all the other clean up guys?

all together your saying

1 cleaner shrimp(im saying that)

14 astrea snails

6 blue legged hermitts

and no turbo snails?

thats seems a bit much

-Matt

To date I've yet to see blue legs eating hair algae. They eat slime algae and 'fuzz', but once the algae gets any length on it they just wander around through it, ignoring it. I'm told that Mexican red-legged hermits will eat hair algae, and emerald crabs will eat all kinds of algae, though I have heard emeralds can get destructive and they're sizeable critters in a tiny reef.

Ratty

Ratty's Reef

No I am not saying that at all. I was only repeating what I have read on alot of sites about them. Hence " they say" and " I would say use 6 hermitts". Should have said it was up to him to decide what to do with the snails. My Blue legged hermitt eats the heck out of hair algae. I have read that the blue legged hermitts from the gulf eat hair algae mabye this is what I have? Or maybe the fuzz you see is just the start of hair algae? I say no turbo's because all mine did was do a half ass job and left all kinds of crap behind after cleaning and knocked over and disrupted everything in my 5.5g. I think that GARF and maybe TBS is where I read that about the astrea snails? I am not very sure but i will get the info on the site and post if for you. and yes the mexican redlegged are the other two I have. I have never seen my bluelegged even go near slime algae. usualy it is just my astreas that get it. btw. how big do emeralds get? i got one as a hitch hiker the other day with a piece of rock i added/

TampaBay saltwater was one of the sites. DR.Fosters and SMith was a company I emailed on this subjecy and had the same reply. Aqua-con had the same reply. This is certainly not a specific guidline that must be followed. Just didnt want you to think i was making it up. :)

Here I will make it simple....

1-snail per gallon, I would recommend-3 or 4 astreas, 2 or 3 margaritas and 1 or 2 others.

For hermits, 2-red leg and 2-blue leg also one cleaner shrimp.

6 hermits is rediculous in a 7 gallon tank if u ask me. especially blue legs. they are fine as little guys, but they will get bigger and attack each other and kill snails. old blue legs are nasty.

keep as many snails as you want but keep the hermits to 1 or 2 with plenty of empty shells.

how does:

1 cleaner shrimp

1 blue legged1 red legged hermit(w/ extra shells)

3 astrea

3 margaritas

2 turbos

sound?

good? bad? more? less?

I also have alot of that brown alge I have spots on my glass and alot on my sand-what eats that?

I am going to buy these guys tommorow...sould I buy them all at once or what?

-Matt

thanks

I wont go with turbos

buying them all at once is ok?

and to whooozyooodady It is a tight fit...

I will have pics of my tank up as soon as I get it cleaned up...I have and over growth of brown alge right now so when that clears up I'll be sure to post them

My opinion is that you should buy them slowly, otherwise you'll have some die off after the initial algae outbreak is taken care of. Just my opinion though!

Spudds.

I agree that blue legs can get nasty, but catching them is not like catching a fish, once they start causing problems, pull them out. I think as little guys they work well!

Archived