Cultivated Reef

heads up to instant ocean and reef crystals users

cjm033

i just got the february issue of aquarium fish magazine and i saw the one add in the back of it and it said that for a limited time(imnot sure how long) but you get a free mini-jet 404 powerhead with it if you buy the bucket of salt (i think its like a 200 gallon mix) so i just wanted yall to know ifyur getn salt and you already buy that brand that u can get it now and get a free powerhead with it,Chris

cj...

IO was running that promotion for quite some time not that long ago... apparently it is back.

I was in one of the LFS's not long ago picking up fishie food. Paying for it I see on the counter a box with like a dozen of the 404's laying loose in it... and their on "sale"? no less for 18 bucks.

Says to the guy... "what brand salt do you use in your system"

"Oh we use Instant Ocean exclusively... great salt!"

"Dude... tsk tsk, you should give those little pumps away with starter tank sets or if you buy so many dollars worth of stuff instead of charging twice as much as what you can buy them online for.....especially since there in da bucket for FREE!"

Yet ANOTHER LFS that no longer welcomes me with open arms...lol

Yes, I should probably minded my own business... but you know, I've now officially earned the title "crotchety middle-aged man".

lol i should go buy a bucket of it take the ph and return the salt and say "i thought it was on of those free gift thigs even if i did return it. its not my fault my mom bught the wrong kinda salt " lol. or if your like around my age (teen) and you got the ph tell em that you wanna return it and if they give you crap make a big scene and ake the lfs employee look like a dumb ass. lol so many ways you can truely get that pump for free haha,Chris

Um can you say shop lifting? Thats prety much what that would be if you did that? Then again that is what the guy at the LFS was trying to do by selling what was GIVEN to him as a promotional deal. You should have turned him in to Instant Ocean. ( Would be pretty funny to see someone throwing a fit in an LFS though!)

were these powerheads in a bucket?....for store use say??? if you owned a small business.....say an LFS, and you had to have display tanks and quarantine and show blah blah blah, do you have any idea how many pumps they blow through?? Take a look around and add up the equipment in terms of dollars the store uses for their tanks. Don't forget this isn't a pet's mart, this is a neighborhood store owned (mostly) by someone just trying to make a living. Operating an aquarium store is by no means inexpensive, the overhead is tremendous, and if they happen to buy 10 buckets of salt for store use, why souldn't they use those powerheads. Please don't argue that they get the pumps or powerheads or whatever wholesale, when you need 23 of them that you will not sell, burn up in a month or two, and have to replace, it adds up quick. Do you really invision the owners of a LOCAL fish store as millionaires? C'mon, do the math.

Hinecken,

WTF are you talking about? Obviously you missed the WHOLE point!... This LFS is taking a product, the pumps that are packaged as a promotional item with the salt, PROMOTIONAL as in NOT MEANT FOR SALE and charging people for them. Yes, they go through tons of salt. That is why they have all those pumps sitting there on the counter. Sitting there on the counter FOR SALE and 18 bucks at that!

Ever see those cigarette promotions where you buy two packs and get one free... the third pack has printing on it "For promotional purposes only, Not for sale". If you were to check into it a little further you would see that doing so, selling that "promotional item" was against the law. Is it enforced? Not too often I'm guessing but it is and has been... The mini-mart owner down the street from me was arrested, taken to court and fined severely for doing so.

Hey bully for capitalism, free-enterprise and the American Way! But when somebody is so greedy as to take a product that was meant to be FREE as a PROMOTIONAL ITEM and sell it in the name of a making a buck..... Screw them! I'm gonna sport my "crotchety middle-aged man" badge proudly and call it as I see it... Reefer rapin' law-breakin' 'TARDS!

Don't get me started on the whole "feeling pity on Joe Petshop-owner just trying to eek out a living. I understand the concept of overhead and trying to run a business that suffers from high losses. I can also differentiate between good and BAD business ethics.

Originally posted by glazer

Hinecken,

WTF are you talking about? Obviously you missed the WHOLE point!... This LFS is taking a product, the pumps that are packaged as a promotional item with the salt, PROMOTIONAL as in NOT MEANT FOR SALE and charging people for them. Yes, they go through tons of salt. That is why they have all those pumps sitting there on the counter. Sitting there on the counter FOR SALE and 18 bucks at that!

Ever see those cigarette promotions where you buy two packs and get one free... the third pack has printing on it "For promotional purposes only, Not for sale". If you were to check into it a little further you would see that doing so, selling that "promotional item" was against the law. Is it enforced? Not too often I'm guessing but it is and has been... The mini-mart owner down the street from me was arrested, taken to court and fined severely for doing so.

i would have sold the other 2 packs and keep the promotional one for myself.

Sorry, I had to chime in about the "What do you think, the owners of LFS are millionaires". Yes, I do, at least by me. I was looking into buying a LFS by me in Clifton, NJ a few years back when it was up for sale. They wanted well over a million for it, the owner had made his millions, and the new owner has now placed himself in the millionaire catagory and as much as I hate to say it would absolutely sell them as well if he could. In fact, of the surrounding 5 LFS's by me, they are all millionaires, and do millions in sales per year. And one of those big ones was even selling Aiptasia as "A beautiful Glass Anenome great for beginners", anything for a buck, business is business.

Good for you Glazer! It really irks me when business take advantage of their customers like this. The majority of the stores in my area constantly try to sell their customers equipment they don't need (to fix their every problem) instead of promoting knowledge of SW aquarium keeping (which is a better fix, IMO).

Just last weekend a guy at the LFS that I go to tried to tell me that I had poor water quality because I had aptasia (which I got from their live rock, and hell if that's the case then the LFS's water quality really sucks!). Somehow I don't consider 0 amonia, 0 nitrite, 6 nitrate, sg 1.023, and pH of 7.9 to 8.3 to be bad water quality.

It all makes me want to open my own LFS. I wonder if you can really survive by promoting fish, coral, and proper keeping skills over the sell-em-yet-another-piece-of-equipment stores that seem all to common today.

hey liquid,

there's only one lfs i can think of that you're talking about in this area that matches that because the other guys that i know are just 'ekeing' out a living. yeah, one or two may gross a million (if they're lucky) but otherwise it's just a decent living for them doing something they enjoy. altho rent, employees, pilfering, wc's, suppliers, and gov't crapola don't make it that enjoyable imo.

some others are money grubbing little sob's that take advantage of newbies. but i also see that sometimes from jus the part-time employees in the reputable shops too.

while i agree with glazer that that specific lfs was really stupid to do that, it's his 'right' still imo. (altho not if the 'promotional thingy was attached') i would've gifted it on a 'slow' day or with a tank purchase. (priming the pump)

back to topic tho. i'm trying TM next, i'm almost out of the coralife i bought long ago. X)

Hinecken came out of the closet to speu senseless ramblings the likes of which has even Tgroupert thinking... WTF?

Were these powerheads in a bucket?....for store use say???  if you owned a small business...., and you had to have display tanks and quarantine and show blah blah blah, do you have any idea how many pumps they blow through?? LAST I CHECKED I HAVE USED ONLY 1 POWERHEAD THAT HAS DIED IN 3 YEARS....  Take a look around and add up the equipment in terms of dollars the store uses for their tanks.  BLAHHHHH BLAHHHH BLAHHHHH I DONT KNOW WHAT IM SAYING....  Please don't argue that they get the pumps or powerheads or whatever wholesale, THAT IS WHAT RETAIL IS FOR DOPE ! when you need 23 of them that you will not sell, burn up in a month or two, and have to replace, it adds up quick, SO DO THE TAX WRITE-OFFS.   Do you really invision the owners of a LOCAL fish store as millionaires? DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH CRAP THEY SELL AND IF THE DEA IS ONTO THEIR DRUG SMUGGLING IN THE BELLIES OF PACU OPERATION YET.  C'mon, do the math, BECAUSE EVERYONE KNOWS THAT APPLES AND ORANGES + BANANAS = POWERHEADS....

???

That is just drunk posting at its best :D Hineken....

Glazer... Welcome to knowing what "reef'tardation" is in a LFS store... yer 'leet now B)

YER ALL NUTS ! :D

Use Tropic Marin or Bio-SEA.... LOLOMGWTFBBQTFF.shuddap :P

Originally posted by Djm9288

Jburke, what is yur LFS? My LFS is great! Where do you go?

Hey Djm9288,

Everytime I ask you for the name of the LFS you use I never get an answer back! =)

There's four that I've checked out in the St. Louis area...

Reef Systems (in St. Charles off of north 94) - This is probably the better one of the bunch I've gone to. However, there have been times that they have given me strange advice, etc. The quailty of their livestock lately has been slipping though, and I haven't bought any fish from them in over a month.

Belt's Aquarium Store - Very cheap prices, small selection, and questionable livestock quatily. Prices on equipment seem standard, but I would be concerned about the health of any livestock purchase (none of the coral looked healthy at all, IMO)

Clayton Pet Emporium - Absolutely beautiful water (they recently installed an ozone system for the whole store), but I was very put off by the cheap coral frag tank (each one was $25) where all the frags were just about dead (serious bleaching, very bad polyp exstenstion, etc). However, I did buy my bi-colored blenny there for $18, and it's been an excellent, healty fish. Their prices seem to be a bit above average though, and their selection is limited (IMO).

Andy's Animals - I only went in here once, and they tried to sell me a $1000 reef system. After this I decided to stay away from these guys since I didn't think they were too interested in really helping me succeed in the hobby.

Aside from these 4 I used to go to Reef Tanks (on natural bridge road). This was a great shop (excellent quality and prices), but they couldn't stay in business.

So now the million dollar question: Which LFS in St. Louis do you use??? =)

Edit: Oops forgot one...

Aqua World (on Manchester road in west county) - Okay store (very nice freshwater), but the selection is very limited, and the prices are outrageously high. Almost 2 times MSR on equipment, and the livestock isn't much better.

I go to Salt Water City, in Clayton (near clayton pet emporium) its on Forsyth. It is absoulty wonderful!!! Best quality in STL. Very good advice, but sorta pricy, but the knowledge and quality make up that difference

Originally posted by Djm9288

I go to Salt Water City, in Clayton (near clayton pet emporium) its on Forsyth. It is absoulty wonderful!!! Best quality in STL. Very good advice, but sorta pricy, but the knowledge and quality make up that difference

Ahhh...Okay, now I remember why I couldn't figure out which store you went to. There's no listing for Salt Water City in the phone book. However, I did find this listing...

AQUATIC ENVIRONMENTS 7733 FORSYTH BLVD, SAINT LOUIS, MO 63105 (314) 426-3305

Did they have a name change? Cause this is pretty close to Clayton Pet Emporium.

Liquid.....First of all, you're full of Sh... I lived in New Jersey for 22 years before I moved down to Florida last May. What local fish store in Clifton wanted a million for it? Having lived in Passaic and Nutley I don't recall any LFS being worth anywhere near that amount of money in the area, unless you're speaking of a chain store like Pet'sMart, which, in my oppinion, doesn't count as an LFS.

Glazer, you're correct, I've misread the original post and agree they shouldn't be selling them, but not EVERY local fish store is out to screw you. Look harder and find one that appreciates your business actually cares about the animals they carry.

Dave...I want' drunk, but I wasn't sober either.....good calll

That would be, as I am sure Tinyreef guessed, is what was Aqua Tropics which was sold and is now named Absolutely Fish. I don't need to go into exacts of what Pat paid but if you are from around here you should know what a whole building with parking on Rt. 46 will cost you regardless of what is in it. Oh, and they didn't want a million, they were asking a million five I believe. Either you are blind or you got into reef keeping after your May move I would take it. Hey Tiny or SOS or anyone else that frequents the store, if you don't believe me, ask one of my good friends Glen that has worked in the store through both owners, he may not tell you exactly what Pat paid for it, but he may know what the old owner was asking. If you don't know me, don't say I'm full of shi*. Name a LFS in northern NJ and I bet I know the owner and a good anmount about there business, this is what I do. This business is a 4.2 billion a year industry, while most stock is going down, the pet stocks are going up. Not just the big co's like Petsmart but check out "CENT" on the Nasdaq, 10 cents under the 52 week high, it is Central pet, one of the largest Wholesalers to this business. Oh, and if I spent a million on a Petsmart franchise, you would tell me it is not a LFS? I guess your right, I would call my business a Local "PET" Store. ASnd I know of others in the area that were bought for close to a million, been to the Pet Place in Wayne on 23? Go ask Mark what that space cost and to stock the store. Hey, your down in Florida, go to Tampa Bay Saltwater and ask Richard Londree how much he has invested in his LFS and how much he makes. Tell him the guy who designed his web site said to ask and that LFS owners are just trying to get by. This is pointless and I have to get some sleep. I'm sure I'll have some other crap to respond to by morning.

Hi, I just joined to learn more about reef keeping, are you guys always so hostile? If I say something in a question or voice an opinion you disagree with are you going to jump down my keyboard? It looks like a great site with a lot of knowledgable people but I sure hope I never say anything to cause such anger! This is'nt politics or religion, its supposed to be fun.

WNM

Hi wannanomore,

Welcome to the boards.... Hey did you hear you can get a free powerhead in a bucket of salt?...lol

Hostile? Whatever do you mean? We are free-spirited, we are rouge mini-reefers in the land of the " big tanks are better " lemmings.... We are wary, we are suspicious but most of all we are um, passionate... yeah that's it PASSIONATE about our way of life. Hostile? No no no, not at all.... well just Dave. And yes he will jump down your keyboard!....lol

wannanomore failed to lurk long enough to learn who is who

Hi, I just joined to learn more about reef keeping, are you guys always so hostile? REPETE AFTER ME: WHY YOU SO MEAN ! ? If I say something in a question or voice an opinion you disagree with are you going to jump down my keyboard? NOT IF YOU POST WITH INTELEGENCE AND HAVE RESEARCHED BEFORE ASKING AN EXACT QUESTION THAT HAS BEEN ANSWERED MANY TIMES.  It looks like a great site with a lot of knowledgable people but I sure hope I never say anything to cause such anger! This is'nt politics or religion SAYS WHO !, its supposed to be fun YES, YES IT IS TO MANY PEOPLE IT IS A RELIGION; REEFANATICS.

WNM

We are not afraid to speek our minds on this board and doing so is encouraged. If you want to be a sheep and follow the herd, there are other boards for that. This board is all about Nano- tanks, and we are a close group of regs and a bunch of new faces alike.... We have heated discussions at times, but it is all in good fun , although some go a tad far and end up in all out flame wars at times, but usualy quell and burn themselves out by the third(teenth) page :D

Don't be so quick to judge... you just might learn a lot with out even knowing it while laughing. ;)

Hang around, and read back post, and you will get an idea of what this board is about.

PS: Welcome. :P

My role here is the smart, bad speeieling, sarcastic dick. :D

I have been reading back post and while I viewed some awesome set-ups, and heard lots of great advice I was distracted by how sexist and crude some of the post were. I enjoy humor, I don't enjoy rude. I read that one member devalued his family from 500g to 300g because he had daughters rather than sons. Another member thought it would be cool to take wood screws and use them to attach frags to childrens heads? You boys have your fun. I joined before I read these posts or I wouldn't have joined. I'll go find a site where I can learn about and enjoy the efforts of others without being offended. You all take care.

WNM

Archived