Top Shelf Aquatics

DIY cube aquarium w/ ref.

nickel76

Well a few months ago I posted a diagram of a cube aquarium I was planning on building. Well I did and here are a few pics.

Glass cut from a local glass shop.

at first I siliconed everything on the seems of the glass, pretty messy, then I cleaned it all up with a razor and went back and siliconed the clean seems, this is of course the messy pic.

With the outter sides done I fit the back inside wall in for the overflows and return for the refugium in the back of the tank. This also serves as a surface skimmer as the overflow has a dividing glass patition that holds floss and a bag of carbon before it flows to the miracle mudd and calerpa (sp?) and lead to the returns, you can see I put the vinyl on before I siliconed it so the edges of vinyl were siliconed with the glass to ensure they could not come up later.

I took the inside back out again (I was test fitting) and placed on floor and filled with water - after letting silicone cure for 1 1/2 days. I placed it on newspaper so I could see even a tiny slow leak. Well it held together very well so I was on to get the refugium put in.

Well as I am posting these images I just realized the CD with the finished pics of the tank with working refugium, and all custom oak trim on top and bottom as well as corner trim are at woork an d as is the camera, so I will have to post those tomorrow evening. ...sorry

If though anyone is interested in the plans for this tank or several others I have built email me.

• 2 weeks later...

I think ya did a FINE job nickel.... very nice! Looks very clean and custom.

So your blue color is a vinyl sheeting then? As in the kind from shops that make signs and such? Did you end up sealing it to the glass at all the edges then?

yeah Glazer I just used Vinyl from a sign shop applied it to the glass and sealed the sides and botom to the glass, then I used that white overflow strip you see in the pic, that is glass joiner molding I got at lowes for $2.00 and cut one side off. It fit perfect on the glass, so I siliconed that also and that sealed the top edge of the vinyl, the vinyl is a seld adhesive vinyl and the adhesive is marine safe, and can last in the ocean on boats and what not for up to 9 years. I have the bio balls in the overflow not really for the biological, but a skimmer type material that will skimm some things out of the water (big stuff) and still allow the pods to make it back into the fuge with out getting caught in the floss. I have a 13 watt PC on the back of the tank mounted against the glass for the Calupra to grow with, and I broke down and did the Miuracle Mudd Also. I have a CAP 600 feeding the refugium water back to the tank through the spray bar and the holes are big enough so pods can fit, i have seen a few floaters but many make the journey.

more fuge pics please. And some description/closeups about the corner trim, especially at the top edge, would be cool. Your setupo looks awesome. I like the trim in particular, and I am interested in what you used since your top glass seems to fit perfect with the trim. I am interested in the fuge...how it is sectioned off, etc. BTW, what are the dimensions of the cube??

OK, well the dimensions are 16'' w 16'' l 18'' d, the fuge is 5.5'' of the back of the tank. This is a glass partition, with glass joiner at the top for the overflows, and return tube that feeds the spray bar in the main tank. The trim is 1''x2'' red oak I got at lowes in the smaller wood bin, and cut to size, the corner mold is exactly that, corner molding I got at lowes in a 8' section for $3, it is birch wood, all coated in auto grade 2 part clear.

I like cubes. How did you handle the trim? Is it standard furniture trim - did you just seal it and silicone it in place? I really like the way that looks and might want to do something similar. The overall effect looks like a picture frame. I spray painted the back of my nano with a medium blue paint but I like the vinyl idea better. Very nice work.

Archived