SaltCritters.com

Straight Kalk Top Off?

Pili

Hey, i just got my kalk reactor in from aquatic systems design today and i was originally planning to set it up by teeing off the line so that i could run a ratio of strait kalk to RO.

I am not totally sure that i could do this now though looking at the unit so i was wondering if anyone thinks there would be a problem running the topoff straight through reactor and into the tank so the topoff would be 100% kalk.

Another question too, how long should i let the mixing pump run initially?

Thanks

I got my reactor from aquatic systems a few days ago. In fact i stumbled on to it from reading on of your post ;) As far as straight kalk mixture goes, i run it straight from the reactor, I have it fed thru a liter meter III pump and it replaces all of my evaporation with 100% kalk solution from the reactor. I use a digital timer and i run the pump 4 times a day for two minutes, random checks of the PH ranges from 12.0 to 12.6 which tells me it is at full strength.

100% straight should be just fine and dandy as long as its done slowly (no big dumps).

As far as initial pump running, till its mixed. 5-15 minutes maybe for extra good measure. Just let it settle back down (the top part clear) before you start the pumping.

a big dump would be considered how much?

The kalk reactor would be in line with the tunze osmolator which adds a cup or two at a time.

It's all relative. You just don't want your tanks PH going up to where your kalk starts precipitating out. Cup or two at a time should be fine in a high flow area.

I got my reactor from aquatic systems a few days ago. In fact i stumbled on to it from reading on of your post ;) As far as straight kalk mixture goes, i run it straight from the reactor, I have it fed thru a liter meter III pump and it replaces all of my evaporation with 100% kalk solution from the reactor. I use a digital timer and i run the pump 4 times a day for two minutes, random checks of the PH ranges from 12.0 to 12.6 which tells me it is at full strength.

How do you like the liter meter III? Is it enough pressure to force water in the reactor and out the out side of the reactor?

Sorry to hyjack the thread, just seemed such an appropriate ? :)

The osmolator has pretty fine control of the dose..

So here goes. Talk to Roger, I believe you can turn down the voltage on the osmolator transformer. This will really cut back the flow rate, especially when combined with the added restriction of the reactor.

Here is the second part, run the mixer on a timer, however, you will probably want the kalk mixed under full saturation (you can check the pH, fully saturated kalk is around 12.1-12.2). Set your timer to only mix once a day, for only a few minutes. What you'll want to do is check the pH of the kalk output.

The more saturated the solution, the less you need to add before it'll cause a problem. Slightly less saturated doesn't pack the same punch, but you can add more in a single dose without worrying about a pH spike and resultant snowstorm (or ca/alk overdosing).

grim

One last point. Since there is always a possibility that the ATO will push water through shortly after the mix (pH will be higher). Set your timer to mix at the time of day that has the lowest evaporation and lowest tank pH. For most people that will be very early morning.

grim

Cool, thanks.

I just set it up last night, turned the voltage down on the osmolator, and the valve on the input line slightly open. So far so good although i am getting a bigger pH spike than i want but no precipitate or anything.

Hey Nemo the liter meter is awesome, no problems with the pumping action. It pulls water up from my holding tank about 5 feet below the kalk reactor and has more than enough pressure to push thru the reactor and into the tank. And there is no back back flow problems, granted the smart thing would be to use a check vavle but i have had this for a few years and have not had any problems. It has lasted thru two Kakreactors. The pirce is steep but it is well worth it. Very reliable and precise.

Archived