Cultivated Reef

!0 gallon newb

Darkstar3

Hey all im getting into saltwater and im an accoplished freshwater keeper anyways i went out and bought a few things heres the list:

-10 gallon

-50/50 6,000 k power compact lights

-Heater

-Tetra whisper in tank filter

-Digital thermometer

-ph,nitrate,nitrite,ammonia,calcium test kits

-saltwater fish food

-50 gallon instant ocean salt mix

-hyrdometer

-ammolock

-turkeybaster

-reef buffer

-rubber gloves

-salt measuring cups

is there anything im missing???

Since you stated in the title that you are a beginner I might add that frozen food is the way to go. And I do not know anyone who actually uses the rubber gloves I just make sure not go get anything on my hands, no lotion, ditergent, soap, food ect. and if I do I won't put my hand in the tank. Rubber gloves are a bit too clumsy for me. Anyway sounds good your ready to start up, buy some live sand and LR!

oh, I just thought of one thing you might need later, an algae scraper!

turkeybaster
Essential to reef keeping!
-Heater
How many watts?
-Tetra whisper in tank filter
Please elaborate.
50/50 6,000 k power compact lights
Need 10,000k if you want coral, this one would work well, the 20in.

Some kind of buffer for pH.

sand (optional, avoid crushed coral)

live rock, as mentioned by pet doc (optional but recommended)

freshwater for top off/evaporation (RO, RO/DI, or distilled)

refractometer (instead of the hydrometer)

the ammolock's ok but you shouldn't need it. a calcium supplement would be helpful eventually as IO on the short side of optimal in that regards imo.

welcome to the salty side! :happy:

dont get a tatra filter, get a aqua clear. ive used both and the AC is MUCH better. also, consider what you will be using the filter for. many reefers dont use sponge filter because they build up nitrates. i use my AC for purigen and carbon. lastly the benifits of a HOB filter are good. you get the surface agitation that you need to keep your surface clear (essential for light transmission). and surface agitation also helps oxygenate.

I also have 2 MJ 400s in my tank for circulation.

another filter option is to make an AC 500 into a HOB fuge. use the search bar for more info on that.

look at people tanks on this site, if you find one you like, copy that setup.

Personally, I really hate the Whisper In Tank filters. Its the one that goes entirely in the tank right? You have to keep the water level below that little ledge, and that might be a little risky as far as topping off goes, which is crucial in a 10g tank. I had one, and I would not pay a penny for another one. I would return that and get an HOB filter.

i know that u need live rock and im using arragonite and i tihnk i will gbet AC cuz i run it in my other tanks so why not in this one and my heater is an elite 50 W isnt the rule 5 watts per gallon?

Archived