Pod Your Reef

lighting wattage

bayo

I am in the process of retrofitting my 10 gal for a nano. I am currently using a 15 watt 10,000 K flourescent. I have found a retro kit that offers two 13 watt compact flourescent that will fit end to end in my current light strip. I was wondering if these would suffice for a 10 gal with 12 lbs of LR w/2-3 in of sand argonite. I plan on having only a few stars and zoos along with upkeep of life (dusters, clams, and other odds) already on LR. I now have a green banded goby and will add a six line wrasse and another small goby.

Will the 13 watt work, or do I need two 32 watt?

btw: when is 6500 K used compared to 10,000 K?

Bayo,

26 watts won't be enough for clams. The other inhabitants you mention should be okay. But if I were you, I'd spend the extra money now and get the 2x32 kit - it'll keep you from kicking yourself later when you realize 26w limits you on your coral selection.

6500K light looks more like real daylight. the 10,000K bulbs [i've heard] look more blue. It's personal preference. Not sure if one or the other is better for your corals, although I suspect it doesn't make much difference.

HTH

I was talking with my LFS owner today about my lighting and he said that prety much all corals need a very high spectrum to grow properly. I told him my wattage and degrees kelvin and he said if I were to go with 10000k and actitinic I might be able to keep hard corals too? ( 26 w pcs 6500deg. k.) =5 + watts per gal. on my 5.5 . He said that most coral only needs 3 watts per galloon to prow properly and a high spectrum. Is he right or wrong????

Once you start using watts per gallon like that you are gonna screw yourself.

One of the most important measurements is the height of your lights from the top of the sand bed.

If you are gonna try to ballpark by the watts per gallon, 3 per gal is maybe enough for softies depending on setup. No offense, but your LFS guy doesn't seem to be on top of his game.

Yeah i kind of figured that. The genetlemen i usualy deal with there was out. I talked to the "usual suspect" :) sunday, and he said the same thing you fellas are now. Thank you very much for the info. You guys are great!;)

Some people will say watts per gallon is irrelevant that 30 watts is 30 watts. On a nano the tank is smaller and corals are closer to the light, so I would say that you can do most at lower light levels, although, if you use a 26w pc and divide that into three sections you get approx 8.75 watts per section. now say you have a montipora in that section. If they made a metal halide that was 26w it would give you 26w in a section, so the light would be more direct. I think the rule of thumb for nano reefs should be higher than traditionally sized tanks!

:)

Archived