Coral Vue Hydros

Tropic Marin Salt

~_~

How well does Tropic Marin salt dissolve & mix?

Should I let it sit overnight, or does it dissolve within a few hours..

How much salt do I need to use for around 1.023/24 SG? I'm guessing a little more than 1/2 cup per gallon. Package doesn't say.

:woot: :woot:

Well I just threw 5 cups of salt in with 11 or so gal of RO water, so it looks like I'm gonna find out on me own soon.

=-_-= zzz

Oh yeah, I wen't to Jeff's exotic fish & they said they just got a shipment of Fiji in, and so I handpicked a few pieces. It was all pretty good, but some were really exceptional...tons of color/coralline....Way better than any LFS around here, and twice as cheap. (under 3$ a pound handpicked)

There other rock there was all pretty average to poor though.

How can something be "twice as cheap?"

Is $6 cheap?

Or is $6 "normal" (= not cheap), $4.50 cheap and $3 "Twice as cheap?"

(Damn, $3/lb...good price, that is half the price I usually see around here!)

Tropic Marin is one of the finestground seasalts on the market. They use a higher grade of materiel (spelling is correct since it IS european LOL) and is very uniform in mixture. I PERSONALY have use near a TON in weight in the past 3 years of TM and it is an excelent product and IME/O top notch despite its high aluminum content.

THERE IS A PLAUSEABLE REASON FOR THE ALUMINUM....

Aluminum that oxidizes is a natural ion that will attract Phosphates and a protien skimmer will precipitate this element.

SO, just because TM is indeed high in aluminum, the mixture blends very quickly even in VERY cold water and can be super saturated in any volume of water and later added to pure RODI water and diluted.

Pro advice tip: ALWAYS ADD YOUR SALTS TO THE WATER, never add water to a bucket with the dry salt in the bottom.

FWIW, I have been using Aquacrafts BioSea salt and It too has qualities that are equaly as good (if not a tad better ) as far as

blendability ( I recently mixed a bucket of 42 degree water and Bio sea and it blended within 3 minutes) :woot: Yeah my hand was frozen... LOL

SINCE REEF TANKS ARE INHERENTLY EXPENSIVE AND ARE ENTIRELY DEPENDENT ON 2 MAJOR COMPONENTS:

SALT AND WATER.

WHY USE AN INFERIOR PRODUCT TO SAVE A FEW DOLLARS?

THE SINGLE-MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE TANKS' WELFARE STARTES WITH WATER QUALITY.

Hope that clarifies it.. :happy:

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

ALWAYS ADD YOUR SALTS TO THE WATER, never add water to a bucket with the dry salt in the bottom.

Why is that? If I'm mixing into an empty bucket, I usually throw the salt in the bottom, then pour the water in. Just seemed to me it would mix better. Never noticed a difference in disolvability (if that's a word). Curious as to why you say this, please enlighten.

Archived