Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What coral would you add first?

voodoo

I have a 10 gal nano now running for 2 weeks it appears to have cycled (used 11 Lbs LR,20 lbs LS). I'm asking what corals you would add first? No I'm not buying them today, but maybe in the next couple of months. What do you think of Zoanthids? BTW I'm using 2x20watt 50/50 lights, do you think that this will be enough lighting.

If you tested your water and your parameters of ammonia and nitrites are zero then go for it. Get some zoanthids.

That should be sufficient light for softies and lps corals.

As for the lighting it might be enough, I assumeing that they are the screw in kind. Never use the screw is lights before so.......

IME, Discosoma shrooms and rics are pretty much bullet-proof. Zoas are beautiful and hardy but can have more problems with hitchhiking pests and thus get you involved in FW dipping, etc. All come in gorgeous colors, so what you'll probably end up doing is going to the lfs & getting whatever looks best at the moment... :)

--Diane

Go with shrooms they are a safe bet. Zoas need a little more light (at least most of the colorful ones do). So unless you want brown or not so attractive zoas I would get shrooms to start.

I would add whatever fish/etc you planned to add first and get all the parameters perfect with the intended bioload. then when you add corals, you don't have to worry about potential chemical spikes if a new fish is messy or even dies. a dead fish in a 10 gal can screw things up pretty quickly. the new corals will be introduced into a stable environment that, if you do your part, should remain stable. for starter corals, definitely start with mushrooms.

I would add whatever fish/etc you planned to add first and get all the parameters perfect with the intended bioload. then when you add corals, you don't have to worry about potential chemical spikes if a new fish is messy or even dies. a dead fish in a 10 gal can screw things up pretty quickly. the new corals will be introduced into a stable environment that, if you do your part, should remain stable. for starter corals, definitely start with mushrooms.

Mushrooms are probably hardier than any fish out there.

I'm the same guy as reefer9391

He tried to say if he has a few corals and then gets his 1st fish and it over does the bio-load and dies it will probley kill his corals so I second his opion get one fish in there first ( your smallest and skidish one ) and then go for shrooms and after that zoos you should be safe with most all softies and LPS too after the first 2 groups do well

He tried to say if he has a few corals and then gets his 1st fish and it over does the bio-load and dies it will probley kill his corals so I second his opion get one fish in there first ( your smallest and skidish one ) and then go for shrooms and after that zoos you should be safe with most all softies and LPS too after the first 2 groups do well

yeah, that's what i meant.

Great, thanks for all of your advice. I just picked up 4 small black molllys this morning and just switched them from fresh to saltwater(used the drip method over 11 hrs). My plan is to remove them when I add a pair of clowns. That way I hope not to blow my tank parameters.

Archived