ReefCleaners.org

blue tips on my acro frags

Metznreef

the acropora frags i got a couple months back have been doing really well. they have full polyp extension and are spreading across the rock and starting to branch off. but the thing that seems kind of funny is that when i bought them they didn't have blue tips but now they do. i know blue tips is a sign of a good amount of light but all i have now over my 7 bow is a 32 watt smart light. they are up close to the surface of the water but they are not right under the light. now i'm starting to think that 32 watts of power compact lighting is more than we thought it was.???

Exactly! I have a blue tipped acro growing under my 18 watt light in my 2.5 gallon tank. The colors have faded on the underside of the frag, but its still purdy up top.

Also, I was looking at some old pics I took and I noticed that my birdsnest has grown a lot in less than 1 month. Each branch is about 25% longer than it was when I got it. (thats almost a centimeter of growth in 3 weeks under 18 watts) Seriously, I don't think the same lighting rules apply to large tanks as they do to nanos.

I'll try to have some pictures up soon.

yeah, all these folks talking about "you really can't keep SPS under anything but MH". i agree that they would prolly be doing even better under halides but i just wanna let people know that acros, and other sps can be kept under smaller power compacts.

Sure they do, the same rules always apply. Acropora need a decent amount of light as do most SPS corals and they corals define the rules (the fact that people interpret the definitions badly is no fault of the corasl), in addition, I doubt the corals know what size tank it is in (though I am fairly sure they know they are held captive).

The important RULE is how much light the coral receives (which admittadly is difficult to define), watts per gallon and other such non-sense is just that, non-sensical, and well...just plain silly. If a RULE were to be defined it would be better to have watts/surface area with a factor for depth to estimate how much light is reaching which depths in the tank.

And since most nanos haven't got a lot of depth to suck up light, corals in nanos will be getting a lot more out of the same light than corals in a bigger tank that are deeper and thus further from the light.

Ratty

Ratty's Reef

yeah, all these folks talking about "you really can't keep SPS under anything but MH".

most people that i know don't say you can't...they just don't recommend it. they do BETTER under MH's. mostly they grow faster and look better...but there are exceptions to the rule. i believe they get conditions more in line w/ natural ones under MH's and that is why they grow better and look better

Lunchbucket

i completely agree lunch. and believe me, if i had the $, i would get a 175 watt halide sytem and pimp my tank out with sps and clams. but as a freshman in highschool and a minimum wage job, i don't think it's gonna happen to soon. o well, i'm happy with what i have:)

yeah i hear you buddy. just save up your extra $$ and your b-day and x-mas money. hint at the rents too :D maybe work out a deal on your grades... LOL dang i am a barderer :D

Lunchbucket

my biggest problem is that i have to divide my funds up into 2 hobbies (aquariums and paintball) plus save for a car. i am about to go and spend 300 dollars on a new paintball gun, but i also just set up a propagation tank so that will hopefully help support my reefing. jeebus, what have i gotten myself into:(

Originally posted by Metznreef

my biggest problem is that i have to divide my funds up into 2 hobbies (aquariums and paintball) plus save for a car.  

haha, that's the same thing as me ! I bought my gun 3 years ago so that's paid for but damn, spending $25 for field admission and $30 on balls is killin me. Plus i'm savin for my car down payment. damn i need a summer job this summer :*(

lol do what i do tell ur mom your tank is gonna crash if she dont buy you certian stuff my mom is stupid enough to believe me so wen im out of $$ i just tell her that and get what i need lol,Chris

you trick your mom into spending money AND call her stupid! YOUR EVIL!!(jk). nano-reefer, what kind of gun do you have? i'm about to get a 2k1 STO auto cocker. it's gonna be sweet.:)

I'm a recreational paintballer so i decided not to spend so much on a gun or else i woulda saved up my money for a rt,e,or minimag. I'm using a 32º custom m98 with my own modifications. Your gonna like that STO, i tried out my friend's at it was sweet but i'm not really fond of all the tunning and everything. I try to go paintballing at least once a month and twice a month during summer. hehe, if i didn't get into reefing i probably woulda bought a better gun :P

i really like m98's. they are durable, reliable, and you can really pimp them out. my brother has a model 98 with a flatline and it is really fun to play with.

Archived