Cultivated Reef

After thorough use of the search button..

Hinecken

After thorough use of the search button, I still haven't found the answer to my question..... I bought some acropora for my tank this afternoon. In the store, I thought it was dead at first, then as I took a closer look it had bright blue tips on the bleach white base. I bought the frag and put it in my tank. Less than an hour later, small flourescent green polyps emerged from the white skeleton. The owner of the LFS assured me it was totally alive and healthy. After being skeptical, I beleive him to be right. The acropora I have is bleach white with flourescent green polyps and blue tips. Has anyone on this board ever seen a white acropora like this? Sorry, no pics as of yet..

acros can bleach and regain color, they can change color as well. I bought an acro from country critters that was dark brown and the guy at the store said it, as well as all their other acro frags, were brown because that was how they always came in when they received frags from outside sources. He said that the coloration might change depending on my lighting and my water parameters. Well, I bought it ($15 good deal) and sure enough the coral turned purplish with red polyps. It was growing fast and was spreading onto the base rock that it was fragged onto and then my xenia crowded out my view so I moved it. It fell over and landed onto my frogspawn and now it is no more.

My story is unneccessary but the point is, acros can and will change colors. I bought an funky blue acro from spsfrags.com that has become a bit more purple than blue thanks to my lower lighting. Still a real beauty but nowhere near as blue as it was when it arrived. The purple and green acro I bought is now mostly purple and the green with purple rimmed montipora cap is now green with some yellow polyps, no purple at all (growing like a weed tho). Corals will change colors, it happens.

I know they change colors, been keeping sps for a while now. mine isn't changing colors though, it is a white acropora with blue tips and green polyps. this is why I'm so perplexed. I too have purchased brown corals that changed beautifully, and I've also had purple tips turn blue and vice versa. This one doesn't appear to be changing though. I could be wrong, but I think it may just be white. truthfully, I hope it stays the way it is and just grows out, it's really cool looking. paid 15 bucks for it, not bad if you ask me! thanks for the replies everyone.

Archived