Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help! Fish dying.

kaylo

I have a 30 gallon that I recently changed the lighting to a PC. It appeared that I have an ICH problem after I bought a damsel from a LFS. The damsel lasted about a week. I witnessed my cleaner shrimp picking out of the gills of the dead fish. Soon after that I noticed lots of white spots on my heniochus butterfly.

As much as I hate using chemicals, I ended up using Rid-Ich for about 3 days to try and gain control of the white spots appearing now on all my fish. I went away for the weekend and came back to the butterfly dead. The next day one of my clowns was dead. I looked at my other clown and it looked like skin on his head was flaking off. The same goes for my spotted mandarin. The other clown is dying as we speak, and the mandarin is looking like he is about to go also.

This leaves in my tank 1 yellow clown goby, 1 cleaner shrimp, and 1 blue green chromis which all seem fine and happy.

The only thing i've added to the tank was 1 sinularia, 1 mushroom colony,1 zoa colony, and 1 devils hand polyp. I added those on Tuesday.

Ammonium = 0, Nitrite = .10 ppm, Nitrate = .2 ppm

I am doing a big water change in about a half hour.

Help me save my other fish please!!!!

putting rid-ich in your aquarium was probably the worst thing you could have done. you are not only going to lose fish, but now your corals and live rock. you should have considered a freshwater dip for your fish and reduced the salinity in your tank to get rid of the ich.

ALWAYS quaruntine your fish before you introduce them to the tank. and going away for the weekend while your fish was ill wasnt the best idea either

best of luck to you

are you familiar with a dip?

putting rid-ich in your aquarium was probably the worst thing you could have done. you are not only going to lose fish, but now your corals and live rock. you should have considered a freshwater dip for your fish and reduced the salinity in your tank to get rid of the ich.

ALWAYS quaruntine your fish before you introduce them to the tank. and going away for the weekend while your fish was ill wasnt the best idea either

best of luck to you

are you familiar with a dip?

I would have stayed home from the trip, but it was booked a month ago and I wasn't about to lose the money on it.

I read about the dip but for some reason did not do it. I just threw out the bottle of Rid-Ich. I should have listened to my gut on not putting chemicals in my tank.

The Rid-Ich was put in over a week ago, is my coral, rock and other fish still in danger? Would a 50% water change today help me?

I am seriously thinking about setting up a quarrantine tank now.

dont change so much water that your tank has to do another cycle, that will only stress your fish and cause more ich problems. gobys and chromis arent very susceptible to ich. I am not sure about shrimp. but your corals are not going to like the rid-ich you put into your tank at all. its likely the copper will kill anything living in your tank that isnt a fish

Sorry to hear for your loss, but please use this as an opportunity to learn from your mistakes. I went through the same thing a few years ago, and have since quarantined all of my new fish. I have saved many ick infested fish by using hypo salinity in a quarantine tank.

You can still save your yellow clown goby by doing a FW dip and QT it in hypo salinity.

Best of luck to you

dont change so much water that your tank has to do another cycle, that will only stress your fish and cause more ich problems. gobys and chromis arent very susceptible to ich. I am not sure about shrimp. but your corals are not going to like the rid-ich you put into your tank at all. its likely the copper will kill anything living in your tank that isnt a fish

Is the damage already done or can I transfer the corals to my aquapod temporarly?

A 50% water change shouldnt cause a re-cycle. You might want to get a copper test and see if the levels of copper are detectable. Do maybe a 30% water change everyday for a week or so and see how your corals/inverts do.

Putting them in your aquapod MIGHT cause it to have copper leeched into it to.

Is the damage already done or can I transfer the corals to my aquapod temporarly?

Archived