Cultivated Reef

scotter blenny in 10 gal nano

shotzee

I would like to get a red scooter blenny to add to my 10 gallon nano. It doesn't have any other inhabitants yet, but i may also add either a perc, a six line wrasse, or a bangaii cardinal. Does anyone have one of these fish in their nano or had any experience keeping one and would like to pass on some knowledge.

Is there any reason i shouldn't add one to my tank? What about the forktail blenny instead?

I'm not saying that a scooter can not live in a 10gal, thats a little too general. But, where people sometimes run into problems is with feeding. They like to munch on pods. So, obviosly a bigger reef tank would tend to have more pods than a smaller tank. However, a smaller tank with a healthy sandbed and good LR that has been established for a while, IMO, could support a scooters' pod munching. Also, it is not uncommon for them to be willing to take brine or mysis shrimp.

Good luck;)

Sorry, didn't see the forktail blenny comment at first. They're another cool little fish. They're carniverous and somewhat aggressive, especially towards each other unless in a mated pair. They will also eat pods, but seem to readily accept both mysis, and brine shrimp as well as some finely chopped shellfish of your choice. You seem to be interested in some serious pod eaters, think about doing a refugium, it boost your pod population tremoundously.

Oh yeah, one more thing about the forktail blenny, they are venomous. Not terribly so, but if you get nipped by one you will have a bit more pain than you would have expected from a cute littte fish

good luck;)

Refugium = natural autofeeder. In nature, fish eat pods. You are trying to recreate nature w/ a refugium - a never-ending (fingers crossed) buffet o' pods. Maybe if we all had enough pods, we wouldn't have to feed mysis or brine or flake or steak. It's natural - feeding is an artificial interaction to the tank. Prolly less bioload too.

I had been thinking about making a small refugium out of a HOB aquaclear filter for exactly this reason, what would I need to add to promote pod growth in this? Is just sand and live rock enough? Should I add anything else while I'm at it?

well i do have a sump/refugium plumbed beneath the tank, but that doen't do a lot for pod supply back to the tank, but it does ensure i have "emengency" pod population. Is it fairly easy to ease these scooters onto some form of prepared food instead?

Hi shotzee

I have a Scooter Blennie (dragonette). He's eaten frozen foods from day 1, he's also the biggest pig in my tank.

I don't really know if a 10G is too small, but they can grow to fair size, could be a little cramped. I keep mine in a 50G.

Archived