Pod Your Reef

Rainford's Goby-free to good home

Kendra

Well as per my "I screwed up." post on the beginners forum. . . I screwed up and bought a wonderful little fish that is not going to survive in a tiny, brand new tank. Rainford's gobies are substrate pickers and need an established reef tank. If anyone in the Indianapolis area has such a tank and would like The Cutest Fish In the World, let me know very soon. It is really a beautiful fish- pale grey with longitudinal red stripes and little white spots. It stays small, getting to be only 2.6 in long. Here is what Marine Fishes by Scott Michael has to say about it.

"This is a wonderful little fish that is rarely aggressive toward other species. May starve if placed in a new aquarium or one without live rock and sand to provide grazing opportunities. . . It is best to keep one per tank, unless the system is large and affords many hiding places. Can be kept with other members ofthe genus, but do not house with fishes like dottybacks, hawkfishes, and sand perches, which are prone to picking on small, substrate-bound fishes."

I live in Bloomington. If you are interested, reply here or call me at 812-333-1619. (My name really is Kendra, so don't have fear of screen names when calling.)

Thanks,

Kendra

Phiche Master

I you really love the guy and want to keep him .....you caaaan Buy a bunch of nice live rock and pray....

I did the same thing when I started, but I had a mandarin goby....

He survived and is very happy at this moment!

• 2 weeks later...

Phiche Master:

I'm new to this also but I've been reading about the Mandarin, I got involved with the saltwater for the little mandarin. How long was your tank up before you got yours? And what do you feed her? Also wht are your water peramiters at?

Phiche Master

You dont currently have lights? Live rock? Is the little guy still alive? They eat the little animals that grow in your reef, you dont have to feed them anything, actually I have never seen mine eat anything I put in there. He just goes over to a rock, that I gues looks good, and plucks a bunch of stuff off of it and blows it though the little holes on the back of his head. I actually got mine after my "1st reef tank" was setup for about 2 weeks, I didnt realize the neccesity of the a mature reef tank to his survival, I then (approx 10 mins later) went to my LFS and bought like 8-9lbs of live rock.......and prayed. Not only was I scared about the food thing but the fish store guy put him in with a brittle star and I guess the goby bit the stars arm. The goby then stayed at the top of the water for about 18 hrs.......I thought he was gunna die :( the brittles arm eventually fell off and lived 5 days away from its host, attempting to feed.......unsuccessfully! Basicly if you dont have live rock by now you might as well send him to me :) b/c he prolly hasn't eaten in a loooong time...... I advise you to go buy some rock or take him back to the store. That would be a pity.......

josh

Phiche Master, Idon't have fish yet I just started my cycle. Just getting info on the mandarin. They are so interesting! I don't plan on one for at least one full year. Thanks for the info!

Archived