inTank Media Baskets

Hey Ross....some details about verathane....?

jojopus

Ross,

You said you used verathane to seal your 10 gallon hood and that you got it at Lowe's. Do you have an item number or perhaps a little more detail about the exact stuff you're using. I saw some at my Lowe's here in Ohio but nothing that says marine use and certainly nothing thats 60 bucks a gallon. Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise I'm gonna have to hit a boat dealer in my area and see if they sell marine sealer....though I'm not getting my hopes up. Considering the closest saltwater to here is like a state and a half away not may boats sold around here are gonna see an ocean any time soon....hehe.

I saw some at my Lowe's here in Ohio but nothing that says marine use and certainly nothing thats 60 bucks a gallon.
It doesn't say it's for marine use, and I'm sure that's not what it was intended for. But it is perfect for marine applications - if you use at least four coats, you won't ever have a problem with salt creep rotting your wood.

Check Bob Fenner's comments about Varathane at www.wetwebmedia.com (do a search).

I paid right at $60 for a gallon here in Texas. Let me know what your Lowe's is selling it for. I wanna know how far to bend over. :woot:

I've spoken with others who say they've been able to find it in a quart can for about $15. You'll use about half of a quart for a 10-gallon hood.

HTH

Not ross but hope you don't mind my input since I recently used this product heavily. I used varathane off the recommendation ross gave in his canopy thread. I purchased a gallon because I made many canopies for test purposes. It cost me around $45 including tax. I used the outdoor water-based product. I really like it, almost no odor while working with it. Has a wonderful look and not supposed to yellow. Year or so down the road I will find out but I trust it.

Ross, and others if interested....

Varathane makes a pretty extensive line of coating materials. Most home improvement stores do not carry all of it though. It's definitely far better than the vast majority of other urethanes commonly available to the general public through hardware and home improvement stores... it's also a little bit more spendy too.

Your 60 bucks a gallon is a bit on the high side... no need to "bend over" too far though...lol A gallon? Wow, time to go make the deck look spiffy eh?

Varathane also makes a "Spar Varnish" as well..... it IS intended for marine use. It's a gloss though... the sheen of topcoats is determined by the amount of solids contained in them...the more solids the flatter the sheen, consquently this makes the coating a little less durable... not a problem in your home, outside a different matter. What also constitutes "for outdoor use" is the fact that it is loaded with UV inhibitors. Indoors I doubt you would ever notice any yellowing to the coating. Outdoors, different... the UV inhibitors do not last forever, they eventually break down and thus begins the degradation of the coating.

As you said... four coats should do ya for a good long time. If you do notice any problems with it... i.e., coating starting to crack/check or lifting, take care of it right away. Sand those areas and recoat or if you don't think you can blend it in, recoat the whole thing.

Just a couple of cents worth of dribble..... ;)

Archived