KH = 9

Salinity = 1.022

Temp = 78

10lbs of LR (in there since day 2)

10lb sand

5lb. aragonite

Maxijet MP400

Just got a POwersweep 212 today

I haven't got my lighting together yet, so I just have a 24" 20W laying on the glass top. But I plan to get at least 3.5W/g in future so I can have something besides JF.

Can I put something in now? Some clean up crewmembers? A fish or 2? I like the look of the Banjji (sp?) cardinals. I saw some in a lfs show tank that had young. Any ideas?

sounds good! your ready. just add slowly and keep everyone happy.

and 2 cardinals will be a little big for a 10 IMO. they get a lot bigger than you think. ive seen one that was 4 inches. but ussually they get to around 3 in my experience.

and i recomend leaving your SG a bit on the low side. because these small tanks are affected A LOT by evaporation when compared to a big tank

Well, if the cardinals are too big, does anyone have any other suggestions or fish that they have? I will go research the fish that nano-reef suggest. What are good clean up crews too? How slow, is going slow? For instance, the articles here give snails and crabs per gallon, but should I start with less to avoid an NH3 spike? Newbie here.

slow as in one step at a time. one fish at a time. your fine as long as you dont fully stock the tank all at once.

as far as a clean up crew in a 10 gallon. i used to use 1 turbo snail and 3 hermits and they did a fine job. but in my 7 im planning on using 2 hermits, 2 or 3 baha cerinth snails, 2 margarita snails. just had good luck with these guys.

you dont need a TON of hermits and snails. sure it might take them a while to clean up algae, but at least they wont starve.

and i would keep a low fish load in that tank. maybe 1 clown or maybe a clown and a damsel.

not if you keep it constant at that and your animals are used to it. but you have to watch evaporation very closely.

if a nano loses a half a gallon of evaporation...it affects the tank a buncha times more than if a half a gallon evaporates from a 55.

i would lower the salinity of the water you add with the next water change. just make it gradual. but it is in no way the end of the world if you leave it how it is.

Well, I put a firefish, a banded coral shrimp, and 3 small snails in today. Lfs was not sure about the snails but said they might be margarita. All I know is that they came crawling out of the sand when he threw some mysis shrimp in the tank. We'll see how it goes. THe firefish is hiding under the LR. I saw him out once. THe shrimp has taken up a position on a suction cup of the PH. The snails are cruising the tank. Wish me luck. Thanks for all the help.

Your snails sound like Conches - either "Fighting" or "Queen" variety. Hope you have Queen Conches - they stay much smaller.

Conches will bury themselves in your sandbed, and when the "smell" food, come to the top to look for it. I just got a Fighting Conch a couple of days ago (at the suggestion of another member here), and he's hilarious to watch.

Edit: Had it backwards...the "Fighting" variety stays smaller longer.

After searching around, I'm thinking that they are nassarius. THey are smoother than the conch pictures I found, and they have that "one tentacle larger than the other" thing going on. The shell looks like a margarita but the underside is all one piece, whereas that margarita has the part that brings mobility and then a separate surface for eating (see the link)

http://www.fishindex.com/phpphotos//86//45/2526

Also, learned a good lesson today. When we were netting the firefish yestreday, I couldn't beleive how fast it was! Well, this morning I took my wife in to see the new fish and threw a couple bs in to see if it would eat. It ate one of them. Anyway, I walked away and left the lid open. You guessed it, I found it sunning itself on the carpet. Stiffer than a mackerel.

Archived